Something to climb

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeWhiteGuy

Reaction score
Okay so I been trying to find something cheap if possible that my mantids could climb on that won't Mold and has a good grip texture for them.

You can glue a piece of mesh to the side of the container. I also found styrofoam easy to grip and walk on. However, I still feel the best texture is bark. I like to collect twigs from the woods, and I bake them until they're nice and crispy and dry.

Depends on the mantis you have and the enclosure you have. Paper towel works great ..ez to clean..no problem with grip..but not too attractive ; /

Here are a few ideas, about anything made of plastic would provide mold free "twigs"

• First thing that comes to mind are the plastic sponges.
  • You could simply cut mesh/screen into long narrow strips of 1" or less and hot glue them into round dowel/twig shapes.
  • Another option might be acrylic or delrin rods, cover with hot glue, and before the glue dries cover the glue with coconut fiber.
  • Perhaps take the acrylic or delrin rods and use rough sandpaper to give them a texture.
  • ABS textured plastic sheets - cut into narrow strips
  • Textured heat shrink tubing over plastic rods
  • Some type of rubber coating over plastic rods
  • Twigs covered with hot glue, wax, or rubber - simple cheap and effective
I'd suggest searching with Google for textured rods and see what you can find

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a good idea CosbyArt, I too was thinking along the lines of screen mesh.

you can find " Heavy Duty " screen mesh that's usually black and rubber coated. Ive used it for months now with no issues. It ran me about $12-13 for a roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
True enough.

I loved the aggressive fish divider mesh ( clear type ), the holes on it work perfectly for freshlings/L2 nymphs. But I've never been able to find actual rolls of it. Just what comes in the divider kit from the pet store.

Latest posts