Species identification? wild mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stmantidman

Reaction score
Pics for helping identification

http://imgur.com/gallery/9QijE

Found a (presumably) wild mantis in Utah out in front of my work. The place is a new development. Many people have seen mantids here. Was searching for a male that was mentioned by somebody, hoping it was a chinese. But this ones female, and thick. Dark green with a pink marking on the top of her head. Larger raptorials than chinese. Ive only just started in the hobby so i'm unfamiliar with this species. 

Awesome! do you think you could point me towards a care sheet? I could not seem to find one posted for this species in the forums.

They're a common naturalized species in the US and are pretty widespread and are able to handle a variety of conditions. I've found them in areas like San Francisco where the weather tends to be pretty cool and humid as well as in very hot and dry areas adjacent to riparian environments. They do tend to be found in sunnier areas like in open fields with low shrubbery. They'll lay oothecae on pretty much any surface and I've even found oothecae sheltered under rocks with space beneath them.

You can keep them somewhat dry and room temperature is fine. The warmer they are, the faster they digest their food, produce oothecae, and get hungry again. You can spray them to give them water, but I never saw mine drink when I kept them. They'll accept prey as large as they are and are pretty aggressive feeders. Don't be surprised if she throws a threat display at you and stridulates to produce a hissing noise.

I agree with Ranitomeya on the ID, the supposed 3rd most common species in the US although I can not find any in my state.

You can spray them to give them water, but I never saw mine drink when I kept them.
This is so interesting as she is the first mantis i've seen actually drink water bubbles with her mouth first, immediately as i misted. I have never once seen my Chinese drink with her mouth, ever. If anything she prefers drinking the water off of her raptors. 

They'll accept prey as large as they are and are pretty aggressive feeders. Don't be surprised if she throws a threat display at you and stridulates to produce a hissing noise.
This is interesting also, she was pretty docile. When she was outside I pretty easily coaxed her onto my hand. Not really any resistance so far, have actually yet to see a threat display. Good to know about the feeding, I have a large grasshopper that my Chinese wouldn't eat so I might try that. I only captured her to get familiar with another species of mantis and the possibility of pregnancy. Do you know what a gravid female of this species tends to looks like? Her abdomen is pretty large and round. I could post more pictures. If I could get an oothecae or two that would be cool and then my plan was to release her back where I captured her. If she is not pregnant, is there no point in keeping her? Is that selfish? The only reason to keep her was the fact I have no other experience besides sinensis, and even then this sinensis is my first mantis. I was so excited about this new mantis and the opportunity for more knowledge.

Most wild-caught mantis females have already mated by the end of the season, so there is good a chance that she could produce fertile oothecae. Mantises do not get pregnant since they do fertilize eggs until they're about to be passed out of the body and are considered gravid if they're carrying eggs, but adult female mantises are pretty much always gravid as they're constantly producing eggs. Females store sperm in the spermatheca and can lay fertilized eggs until they run out of sperm. A single mating is usually sufficient to produce a few hundred fertile eggs. If she's pretty round and large, chances are she's getting close to laying an ootheca. Just keep feeding her until she stops accepting food. Keep in mind that a well-fed mantis is more prone to damage, so trying to handle her and frightening her has a chance of injury or death if she ruptures her full abdomen.

She was pregnant! I fed said grasshopper and woke up this morning to find and ooth had been laid! How may I go about ensuring it hatches properly? This species ooths overwinter correct? Shall I try to remove the ooth and place it in the fridge until spring or should I arrange it to be hung from my shed outside? Is there a better chance of it hatching properly/not being damaged if I try to overwinter it indoors?

@1stmantidman Not sure why you are asking in this topic, and a new one about your questions too; however, there is plenty of helpful links in your other topic.

Yea I apologize, this post was posted first before the new thread i made and i didnt try to edit/delete it. I got a little excited with the conversation leaning towards possible hatchlings anyway, figured i could try to get answers here while the thread was going that direction. Ive moved that topic to the appropriate category as youve seen >>>  :batman:

Latest posts