Species in USA, IL?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowChild

Reaction score
hi so far i have found 2 female s.carolina and 1 already laid an ooth 2 days after i caught it, i havnt been able to go bug hunting much because i dont live anywhere close to spots with foilage , only city building walls. but as much as i have searched, i only found these 2 females and 1 male, all s.carolina. the male was a brown color and mated with 1 of the females but died a couple days later (i have no idea why, he stopped eating).

but as much as i like s.carolina i wasn't aiming for them this year, my favorite is the Chinese mantid.

lasy year at this time , October 1 of my aunts found me a female chinese adult, which was more than 5".

i was excited about the size of it and fed it well, it laid an ooth and the ooth hatched 4 weeks later, with tons of nymphs.

but i have no idea where to look for a big chinese mantid because iv never found 1.

i found all of my s.carolina on building walls.

are there any other species than s.carolina and chinese in IL?

also, where do i have to look for Chinese mantids?

dont think they can be five inches but they can be 4 inches at most and you can ask katnapper for chinese mantids as she sells them as single or in pairs as does many in the classifieds but some may charge more for them then others!

Carolina mantis and chinese mantis are all that is found in IL. See my thread in the photo section to see where to find chinese mantids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did your aunt find you that chinese mantis? Where ever she found it there are bound to be more in that area.

hi so far i have found 2 female s.carolina and 1 already laid an ooth 2 days after i caught it, i havnt been able to go bug hunting much because i dont live anywhere close to spots with foilage , only city building walls. but as much as i have searched, i only found these 2 females and 1 male, all s.carolina. the male was a brown color and mated with 1 of the females but died a couple days later (i have no idea why, he stopped eating).but as much as i like s.carolina i wasn't aiming for them this year, my favorite is the Chinese mantid.

lasy year at this time , October 1 of my aunts found me a female chinese adult, which was more than 5".

i was excited about the size of it and fed it well, it laid an ooth and the ooth hatched 4 weeks later, with tons of nymphs.

but i have no idea where to look for a big chinese mantid because iv never found 1.

i found all of my s.carolina on building walls.

are there any other species than s.carolina and chinese in IL?

also, where do i have to look for Chinese mantids?
Wait a sec. You are looking for Chinese mantids? What happened to the nymphs? Did you release them or were you unsuccessful at rearing them. If those Chinese mantids are as long as you say (5"+), then you've captured my interest. Normally they would range about the 4" zone plus/minus a few.

Latest posts