species suitable for big vivarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clacker

Reaction score
Hi, I haved had a few mantids a few years ago (mostly native ones) but I am just now getting back into the hobby. I would like to keep the mantid in a large vivarium, but I know it is harder for the mantid to find prey in a large tank. So I am wonder which species is aggressive enough to actively chase after the prey and roam around the vivarium.

My Madagascan Marbled Mantis (Polyspilota Aeruginosa) seems to be getting on ok in her 48cmx31x31 (19inchesx13x13) terrarium. I have to make sure she's able to locate and catch hold of her food, usually with the help of tweezers; but she's happy enough.

Ok, I know nothing about mantids, (this being my first captive specimen), but I'm proud as heck of my little girl and I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents...

Hi. Welcome to the forum. For nymphs smaller is better. However once adults any of the larger species would do ok in a large enclosure. Food will be an issue and you will have to feed more in order to ensure they find enough. Also none of them are truly communal.

I guess it depends what you're feeding too. You'd need to be more observant if you were feeding a burrowing feeder such as mealworms than a non-burrower like crix. I feed mine mealworms, and have had a few instances where I've dropped the worm and had it burrow beneath the substrate.

Thanks for the replies.

I like to feed my mantids flying insects so burrowers aren't going to be a problem.

By the way, are there any differences between S. Lineola and S. Centralis?

Thanks for the replies.I like to feed my mantids flying insects so burrowers aren't going to be a problem.

By the way, are there any differences between S. Lineola and S. Centralis?
only the name :lol: , neh there the same but they just cant mate eachother

both easey :)

We have some experiences with very large terraria. Food isn't never a problem if you rely on flies and other active food. Almost every species thrives well in large containers, whether "communal" or not. The best results yealded I. diabolica, G. gongylodes (if the temperature is adjusted), Ambivia undata, Phyllocrania paradoxa and Solygia sulcatifrons, but every species should be possible. They find their food, don't worry about that, but you have to feed well.

I had some good experiences with colonial mantis keeping, notably Deroplatys desiccata in large vivs (5ftL x 4ftH x 2ftD) with just a "live" substrate of Tenebrio/Zoophobas beetles & larva, Blabberus sp (craniferer?), Blaptica dubia and Acheta domestica, flies would have been much better but it never occured to me back then?.

Deroplatys could always be found within 6 or 7 inches of the substrate, molting, hunting, resting, watching, eating etc

Rarely much higher in the viv so i am now thinking i might have got away with some thing like Gongylus or Idolomantis <(couldnt get these back then) in the higher/hotter strata :) Wouldnt be able to do that with out loads of flies.

Latest posts