Sphodromantis viridis electroformed in copper as a pendant

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
I recently made these pendants from some Sphodromantis viridis females that didn't fare well in the mating thunderdome and thought I'd see if I could electroform them.  I think they turned out pretty cool.

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

can you do a post on how to electroform? thanks, and very cool!
As you did not quote Patrick or use the name tag, like this @Benjamin Whyte, he will not get a update about your message. He has not been on in 2 months, so if you are wanting to know more send him a PM (private message) that way he'll get a e-mail and may respond; otherwise, it might be several more months or longer if he does respond, as he will have to look at this message thread to even notice.

I agree though it is interesting. Likely he uses the typical electroplating methods, once the insect exoskeleton is covered in a metallic base. If your interested some ideas are discussed here (and one of the post authors talks about doing it to various insects too). Seems the most common method is to build a thin coating of gold leaf on the insect and then make your electroplating bath setup and get the metal of your choice.

Personally I've done similar setups using a battery charger, vinegar, and various sacrificial metals (used to plate with, typically cooper being the most common). I will say electricity and liquid is involved so you must completely understand what you are doing to prevent injuring yourself or your house in the process.

Latest posts