spider pharm

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty bugger

Reaction score
Right here, in front of this computer screen
I'm going to ride up to spider pharm in a couple hours and see their facility.

Anyone like me to get a pic of anything there, if they'll let me photograph stuff?

It's only about 80 miles from my place, and on one of my favorite bike rides in the state, so it's just an excuse to feed the mantis', uh, oh yeah, and ride the harley :D 70 plus degrees here, so it's really not gonna be that enjoyable :rolleyes: :D :p

B)

Thank you for clearing that up. Now, if you could only do something about this weather, please.
It's a small world. I was talking with Chuck yesterday about his fly-raising kit. He is, as Rebecca says, a great guy who cannot only fix you up with fly pupae and spider venom, but also help you with the temperature. Take the highway of your choice southwest from Philly until you hook up with I40 and follow it west to Flagstaff, Arizona. It will still be cold. Keep going west for another 50 miles on I40 and turn south onto AZ 89. Drive through Prescott (still cold) and Yarnell is the town just south of Peeples Valley. Stop for a coffee at Yarnell and call Chuck at 928-427-6589 for directions. You will have already started thawing out. You will be on the outer rim of the Great Sonoran Desert, and your bones will start to warm. Welcome!

I was only there for maybe 30 minutes, cause I had to get back for a meeting I barely remembered tonight, but he showed me how he does his stuff, and was very cool about everything.

He doesn't seem to have any secrets about how to do what and keep them from people so they have to buy from him.

He showed me how he makes his food, and told me how to raise my own flies, and gave me some 'layers' so I could do my own, and it was all very cool. Nice guy.

Not to sound demeaning at all, the operation was very simple, yet very effective. He knows what he's doing and has the place to do it, and does it, or so it seems.

I'm sure he has a ton of knowledge that may or may not be necessary for raising the flies, but it was funny how easy he makes it seem.

Spiders hanging from the ceiling all over the place, I before E except after C eh Phil :) , and fruit flies buzzing around some of the food area. A heated room in the back where the house flies breed, and a room up front, that I didn't go into, that he said it filled with more fruitflies than I've probably ever seen.

Showed me the material he has the flies lay in, and what the maggots look like in it, and how he seperates the pupae from the bulk of the laying material and all that stuff. Makes it seem very simple and fast, the way he did it. Alot of screens, and little 'bins' like mortar men use to mix their mud in.

If you are interested, he said the recipe's for the food are on his web site.

I think in terms of the mantis food, but one day I'll have to pick his brain about spider venom, the medical uses, and other things related to the spiders.

What's kinda funny, you're wanting more warmer weather, but he had an issue cause it heated up there and a bunch of his pupae hatched out, leaving him without as much as he usually has on hand, but I can assure you, the flies were doing their best to correct that for him ;)

Plus the heat isn't too good for my earthworms, so the evap cooler came out.

They are a couple thousand feet higher than the valley, so it's cooler there, but I wore no jacket or gloves at anytime, so it was a wonderful experience :) If you get a chance, I suggest the ride B)

We got to chatting, he's the fire captain in town, and I am a hazmat class short of a fire science degree and was going to be an emt, from earlier college days, and I got carried away and left without paying, and when I went back he acted like, Oh, and you want to pay me too :) Nice guy, loves his work.

I was in such a hurry to get up there, after remembering my 7 pm meeting and leaving at 2 pm here, and some of the road up there is 30 mph curvy single lane cliff hanger roads, that's why it's one of my favorite rides, and no way to really speed it up, so I didn't get to spend the time there I'd liked to have, and forgot my camera anyway, along with my tools I usually carry, so I didn't get pics, this time.

I had got a mantis from Peter last week, and asked where he got the flies he sent with it, and he told me of Spider Pharm, so I looked it up online to order, and wow, they were here in AZ, and on one of my favorite 'tours', so up the hill I went, and I'll probably do more business with him anyway :)

I feel like a lucky pup :) Now if I could only get back to pup age again ;)

Sorry if I got carried away, but it was an interesting 30 minutes, not to mention the trip through the old 1800's mining towns getting there. Oh yeah, and my mantis' are gorging themselves on the bounty :)

BTW Phil, a biker told me the best breakfast in the state can be had there in Yarnell :)

BTW BTW He has a bunch of hatched out flies, for anyone wanting flies just waiting to be eaten

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I'm on Chuck's biweekly fly pupae plan. He's a little late from time to time, but I'm a loyal customer for a long time now and have a lot of respect for him and his very unique inventory. I also respect that he follows the strict shipping procedures for the widows, etc. There is a pretty high demand for them and unfortunately few people follow the strict guidelines in place with regards to shipping them. Chuck ships these things out per the postal service regulations at the cost of what would be a huge increase in business if he did what many of the "other guys" do, just throwing them in a box with no concern for the many sets of hands that handle the package between origin and destination.

Chuck also gave me some great collecting info. for scorpions, prior to my trip down to AZ this summer. I got an invite to visit him, but it was a bit off the beaten collecting path. Friendly phone personality too!

Neat to read your story!

I have also been doing bussiness with Chuck for the last year or so. He really is a great guy! nasty bugger your so lucky to have met him in person, and to have seen his facility. I believe he was in a documentury on TV once about his spider milking program. I wish i could remember the name of the program though.

The facility really isn't what you may expect, or maybe you do. It's a gutted out mobile home, with the work tables, and rooms with screened in areas for the flies and such, with heating and the necessities, not real fancy, but effective.

The spiders just hanging out make it seem kinda like walking into my ol' granddads work shop, that was not too many miles from Chuck's place, back in the 60's.

The cool part was how easy he makes it all seem, or maybe, how natural he makes it seem would be a better term, not to mention he reminds me of an old hippy musician buddy of mine, without the long hair

It dawned on me the other day, I was only thinking in terms of mantis food, but I didn't ask Chuck about the spider milking or any of that, but I was going back today, cause it'll rain all week here, but I didn't get away soon enough, but I may see that set up one day. Then again they may want to keep is sterile, and with the bush on my mug and head, well, sterility? :eek: ;) B)

Latest posts