Spirostreptidae sp 6

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypoponera

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few poor photos of 1 of my 5 immature Spirostreptidae species #6. These are from Madagascar. Adults max out at either 7 or 10 inches. Colors are very bright yellow and orange. Too bad my bad photos hide the colors!

milli 016.jpg

They normally coil flat. This one decided to be different and double coiled.

milli 017.jpg

This particular milli is about 3 1/2 inches long.

milli 018.jpg

milli 020.jpg

Prob only when eaten. I know the native millipedes of southern Africa carry cyanide within their bodies, so if eaten, the predator knows not to touch another, and the species is saved from predation.

Time for a very overdue update! Alas, all 5 of the immatures I had died. It took about 2 years for all to die. Not sure what the problem was. 

After several years, I managed to find some more! I was sent 3 males and 3 females, all captive bred adults. So I had high hopes they would do well. These are either a different color morph, or even a different species then the first batch I had. These are the "black leg" variant.

VTi1P7G.jpg

RSHX4s8.jpg

iv2EFK6.jpg

My hopes have been proven to be well founded. I have had the adults for almost 4 months now And spotted a handful of yellow eggs next to the tank side. Yesterday, I checked on the eggs. Looks like all the eggs I saw have hatched!

ckinE8n.jpg

Latest posts