SpongeWorld Lite

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Hibiscusmile's styrofoam cup approach is THE best I've seen so far for safe delivery (provided the species can crawl on the cup). I've used it with great success in the past, and will revert to that if I can't improve it.

For the more complicated species (like Gongy's) I used the all-netting-covered container, such as this one:

Iphone4Backup12-14-2010053.jpg

Iphone4Backup12-14-2010052.jpg

My next though experiment is to add a smaller versions of these LED lights to the outter bottom of the enclosure to provide illumination on long journeys. IF, it's true that the mantids need to see to hunt, then putting food items in the box for travel is pointless, or worse, problematic. However, for longer journey's, LED plus fly pupa might work. Might...

MX-87883BK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spore, you could use LED strips, 9 inches are about $2 on ebay...and they can be bended around the container.

Can't wait to see it!
Here is what I shipped a few large very fragile mantis in, one was a L7 Idolo with 100% success, 32oz deli, the bottom is over two inch's thick with foam to shrink the container down so a fall would be minor, and the sides are also foam 1/2 inch thick, hot glued sticks on top for outstanding grip. All mantis made it with no issues, I also misted the container pretty well before shipping.

NicksCup_1786-sm.jpg

Very nice.

So, anyone else BRAVE ENOUGH to showcase THEIR packing methods...? That's right - I'm calling you out!!! Let's see whatcha got!!!

I saw your mentioning that nylon netting takes too long and... most people do not know about these* so I will spread the love, lol.

Paint strainers from the hardware store - they come in 1gal and 5gal w/ the 1gal being about $1 each and the 5gal about $3, I would imagine that one of these placed into a 32oz deli with your sponge arrangement would remedy your troubles with smooth plastic sides.

They also might work for a handy caging solution for some, I use them for moths/butterflies; you just have to make a bailing wire frame to hold open the mesh.

*- At least, those I have told said it was new to them.

Edit: Snapped an example photo of how I use these for live collecting butterflies sometimes: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6142/5996537597_929daea531_b.jpg

Very nice.

So, anyone else BRAVE ENOUGH to showcase THEIR packing methods...? That's right - I'm calling you out!!! Let's see whatcha got!!!
I can do better than that! Anyone can take a cute pic, but that doesn't mean that the mantids will arrive safely, and that's the only real test of packing.

You talked about a competition of some sort, a while back, Mark. Here's my suggestion. This is a winner takes all contest.

All of us expert packers send our parcels in two categories, L2 nymphs (5?) and adults (2?), to Peter or his designee, and he/she judges the winners according to the condition in which the mantids arrive and the simplicity of the package. If I send out 8 packs of nymphs, I don't want to spend 30 mins and $10 "creating" each container!

The winner gets all the specimens in one huge box. I'll donate the money for the postage (Priority!).

Wadya thimk?

I can do better than that! Anyone can take a cute pic, but that doesn't mean that the mantids will arrive safely, and that's the only real test of packing.

You talked about a competition of some sort, a while back, Mark. Here's my suggestion. This is a winner takes all contest.

All of us expert packers send our parcels in two categories, L2 nymphs (5?) and adults (2?), to Peter or his designee, and he/she judges the winners according to the condition in which the mantids arrive and the simplicity of the package. If I send out 8 packs of nymphs, I don't want to spend 30 mins and $10 "creating" each container!

The winner gets all the specimens in one huge box. I'll donate the money for the postage (Priority!).

Wadya thimk?
Or... we send them to ORIN in time for his BugFest show!

See link: BugFest

Maybe the winner gets a month-long banner saying "Congrats to PhillinYuma for BEST PACKAGING 2011". Or some other ego-based prize (mostly becuase I, for one, need LESS mouths to feed right now - not more - yikes!)

Back to you!

So far I win by default for large mantis, Hahaha :D

And Phil, It only took 7-8 minutes and $1.50-2.00 each for mine(so charge handling if you think its needed) :p

Has anyone here tried shipping Adult or sub Idolo, Gongy, Large etc, if you don't do something along my style of container their legs will snap on a bounce(the PO is not mantis friendly), or break off feet or death, so I think padding(and not just paper towel) of some sort is critical, if they lose grip they land soft. But for a Chinese or regular type mantis this may not be worth all the trouble, that's up to the sender but I probably would. ;)

I can see (haha, Pun intended) that you have not been shipped in a dark cup lately! :lol: I myself like the darkness, it makes them be still and they don't do much moving which is good so u don't get knocked around unexpectely! at least thats what I am thinking!

Latest posts