Spring tails...tell me where I can buy them!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
Well I thought I had access to a spring tail culture, I was wrong <_< So I went to two websites that I knew that carried springtails, but they are out of stock! :eek: So can anybody post links of online stores (in the US) that sell spring tails? In the meantime I will continue to look.

Thanks!

Never mind, just found some! I FINALLY found a supplier that sold spring tails, in the US, was in stock, and was the temperate variety (I had to go through like 15 google pages under 3-4 different search subject!). :blink:

curious as to what your using them for, i have thousands in the backyard. can i feed them to newly hatched mantis?
You can feed them to mantids, but fruit flies are better (since they are bigger).

laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
I will only give one hint, I need them for a small application. :) I'll make a thread about it when the time is right. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't see them on BIC? What kind of springtail did you order?

Peter's website BugsInCyberspace.I notice on the frog site the guy says less than half a centimeter, I'm pretty sure he means less than half a millimeter.
He doesnt have springtials. Im pretty sure the frog guy means 1/2 a mm too, because I've seen this sp. a lot and they are soooooooooo [SIZE=8pt]tiny[/SIZE] lol. Just wait until what you see I need them for! :p

I must admit, I'm very curious about the mystery mantid. I hope those springtails work out for you. I ordered them once, I think for virescens. What a mess. Pot of dirt with invisible bugs. I threw it away.

I must admit, I'm very curious about the mystery mantid. I hope those springtails work out for you. I ordered them once, I think for virescens. What a mess. Pot of dirt with invisible bugs. I threw it away.
lol I actually have some cultures waiting here at home that I made. They will be a LOT easier to use than the charcoal Josh uses. :)

Just give me a couple weeks and you will find out about the mystery mantid ;)

I've used springtails from my back yard with great results. They are great for those timid L1 nymphs. I've used them for Chinese, Narrow-wing, S. limbata and Litanutria minor. I was surprised at how quick the mantids molt to L2 while eating only the springtails. They may be small, but they seem to be highly nutritious!

I currently keep a colony of springtails in a 10 gallon tank with an ant colony. The springtails help to keep the ant colony nice and clean! Just a fringe beni of using springtails.

How do you actually "dish" out the springtails for the mantids? I put them in one of those sand bottles with the funnel tip and shook it until springtails came out in the small container the mantis was in. If anyone has a more effective way of dishing them out, please do share.

Latest posts