spring!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaddock

Reaction score
It is officially spring in my corner of the Earth, and I want to see some of these fluttering, buzzing, crunchy little insects laid at the feet of my mantids, to do with as they will! Who has ideas on how to catch a wide variety of edible insects this spring?

Let's here some cool ideas! :lol:

I already know how to catch wasps, that's for sure... But I don't think I'll get them in with my brood.

:p

You can, turn rocks and grab them. I used to water my large rocks the night before, then flip them in them in the morning for the chickens to scavenge grubs and other bugs. The evening water makes it moist and inviting for the bugs

set newspapers out where the bugs may hide, they should be folded so the bugs feel safe hiding in them. Shake them into a can when you open them.

When they cut off a thieves hand, oh, wrong country, set it out to culture maggots for flies

certain trees attract certain insects, locusts, moths etc, and like wise certain one's deter them so don't look in the unattractive trees and bushes.

Some bugs like smaller creatures to feast on, find them or culture them to attract the bugs you want

forest soil seems to have lots of bugs. you may want to gut load them with what you'd like before feeding them off

Termites can be fed to small mantis', so look for a house with them. Seek the chewed up celulose trails, grasshopper.

Spiders hang out where there are bugs, so should you, if you want those bugs, look under the house or in cellars or ...

Dumpsters

Laundries seem to attract lots of flies when it's hot. May be the moisture or smell... I don't know for a fact

Orchards, or stables or stockyards, or the dog run, or gardens, or inside my haid... oh my oh my

It is officially spring in my corner of the Earth, and I want to see some of these fluttering, buzzing, crunchy little insects laid at the feet of my mantids, to do with as they will! Who has ideas on how to catch a wide variety of edible insects this spring? Let's here some cool ideas! :lol:

I already know how to catch wasps, that's for sure... But I don't think I'll get them in with my brood.

:p
Find a weedy meadow. Those places tend to be full of insects and mantids too. Wasps dont' make a good meal. Take a close look at one. They hardly have any edible parts.

Set up a garden with a few flowers to attract butterflies and moths. And throw stale bread or sugar in your back yard to attract bugs. Then go out, lift up logs and rocks, or look in tall grass.

If you leave your grass to grow a while, grasshopper accumulate.

Latest posts