Stacking 32oz specimen cups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda running out of space in my "bug corner" and I'm trying to get a little better organized to save space... and have more space for any additions of course.😀 

I use standard 32oz cups with fabric vented lids. My question is would it be a bad idea to stack the cups, one on top of another? I normally stack like this:

rps20191101_153820.jpg

With 50+ cups you can see how much additional space this takes up and I only feel comfortable stacking 2 levels. 

It would save much more space if I stacked like this:

rps20191101_153934.jpg

I would be comfortable stacking 3 levels this way. 

I know there are ventilation concerns, but I routinely monitor humidity and since the cups get rotated frequently (usually every other day) I thought perhaps I might be able to pull it off without too many health concerns. 

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
@bugeyed.fr We have Kiwi vines that have to be trimmed each year and hauled off. These are just the small vines, the larger vines (up to 8 cm diameter) of the Kiwi are gorgeous when used in enclosures. 

I use a large plastic mesh for separating my spikes when pupae them. Will post pic later. it works great, about 1/16 thick and I just reuse them each week, washable too. I dont know how to change file size to upload pic? any one can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda running out of space in my "bug corner" and I'm trying to get a little better organized to save space... and have more space for any additions of course.😀 

I use standard 32oz cups with fabric vented lids. My question is would it be a bad idea to stack the cups, one on top of another? I normally stack like this:

View attachment 12699

With 50+ cups you can see how much additional space this takes up and I only feel comfortable stacking 2 levels. 

It would save much more space if I stacked like this:

View attachment 12700

I would be comfortable stacking 3 levels this way. 

I know there are ventilation concerns, but I routinely monitor humidity and since the cups get rotated frequently (usually every other day) I thought perhaps I might be able to pull it off without too many health concerns. 

Opinions?
I've kept mantids like this for a while and I never have any issue, at most the ones on the bottom stay a bit more humid for some time. If you are concerned, as stated above adding extra ventilation is an easy solution!

Do u eat the kiwis on the kiwi vine?
The fruits are a little smaller than those you see in the supermarket, but they taste the same. The herp guys in my area get excited when it's annual pruning time. The larger vines are gorgeous. Of course, to stay on topic, they look great in mantis enclosures as well. 😀 

Latest posts