Stagmomantis gracilipes?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone sent me a pic of a mantis collected in Southern Arizona for identification. Slender and long with wing reach only half of the abdomen (similar to Stagmomantis floridensis). Hind wing is yellow in color, even the mantis itself and wings are yellowish green. My thought is that it is likely the elusive S gracilipes. I traded a few nymphs, the next generation from the adult female below.

sg00.jpg

Nymphs of S. gracilipes?

sg01.jpg

sg02.jpg

sg03.jpg

sg04.jpg

Look very similar to S. floridensis. How do they compare in size?

Those nymphs are bizarre looking! So you are keeping those? Or are they your friend's pictures?
Sorry i didn't make it clear earlier. The first pic (adult female) was taken by a friend (Noah). The female has passed on but had a few ooth which hatched. I am keeping few nymphs now. Can't wait to see them grow into adult.

Look very similar to S. floridensis. How do they compare in size?
Apparently the adult female is comparable to the size of S. limbata, so it is not as long as S floridensis. On average, S floridensis is probably the longest native Stagmomantis species in the USA.

Are you able to show us the color of the underwings (I'm assuming the female that passed on was pinned)? It would make a nice comparison to the other native species.

Are you able to show us the color of the underwings (I'm assuming the female that passed on was pinned)? It would make a nice comparison to the other native species.
That's the only pic i have from my friend. I am not sure if he preserved the specimen, but he did mention the hindwing is yellowish.

Recently I found an adult female stagmomantis limbata and I was wondering why they are still out when it is January. Dont the ooths overwinter not the adults?

Recently I found an adult female stagmomantis limbata and I was wondering why they are still out when it is January. Dont the ooths overwinter not the adults?
Maybe it has been a mild winter where you found the adult. Also adult specimen can handle a short cold spell, but don't stand a chance on a continuous 24hr freeze. So yeah only ooth survive the winter.

Latest posts