Stagmomantis Limbata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mex_Ghost

Reaction score
When I read that people like you find mantis in the wild, I just can´t belive it, cause even I tried so hard looking for mantids, I think I don´t have that trained eyes like you or I just don´t look in the right places, My mom told me once that She saw a Mantis at her house, then I try to look for it and I didn´t see anything, some months later She told me that She saw another one, and When I went to try to find it, again I didn´t found it, and two weeks ago She told me about another one, and finally I saw it, I took some pics and a Friend told me that She is a Limbata, I was going to leave her back where I found her, but my friend told me that He had an extra adult male to share!!!, so yesterday I got the male, and yestarday I introduce him to her....... now they are still connected!!!

IMG_3396_b.jpg

IMG_3383_b.jpg

IMG_3585_b.jpg

IMG_3593_b.jpg

saludos

Thanks for the comments, I got a Digital Canon Rebel XTi (well my Bro gave it to my for a while, cause I had an EOS 3, but doesn´t work anymore), a 100 mm Macro lense (also a 75-300 and the normal 18-55) and a speedlite 420EX Flash, but I think the background (my little girl toy) helped a little bit.

saludos

Well my friend told me that the female was a Limbata, and He told me about his extra male, I haven´t had any Limbata prior to these, but I trust in my friend about limbatas. Also I haven´t had any chinese :whistling:

Awesome finds! My parents live just S. of Guadalajara and regularly see this species in their yard. I've never been sure if they are S. limbata, but felt certain they were in that genus. Is your friend sure that is the correct species?

I've been wondering about this too, Peter, particularly the female. She doesn't look much like the ones from around here, does she?

Andrew. You have a pic of a female very much like this that you named S. limbata. Where did you catch it and on what did you base your I.D., if you don't mind my asking?

I know that hypoponeura has wondered about this, too.

Any thoughts, Yen? You're our resident expert!

Well here in the center of my country this specie is very common, and they call them Stagmomantis Limbatas, so I really haven´t look for any source in the web that confirm the specie, but trust in the people that told me that. She is like 4 or 5 cm thats about 2 inches (I haven´t measure her, but after having other mantids, I saw her small like a Paradoxa).

saludos

IMG_3395_b.jpg

IMG_3398_b.jpg

I have little doubt that your male represents a brown color morph that is seldom found in the U.S., though former member Kamakiri was raising a lot of pink females of this species in California as recently as last year, presumably from wild stock.

Latest posts