Stick insects in southern california?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantidguy

Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if there are any stick insects native to Southern California 

There's also the western short-horned phasmid which has been kept for dozens of generations. Find any Timema Mantidguy? I've never seen anyone with those.

There's also the western short-horned phasmid which has been kept for dozens of generations. Find any Timema Mantidguy? I've never seen anyone with those.
I heard Timema are almost impossible to keep in captivity since they require their local soil to encase their eggs in

I heard Timema are almost impossible to keep in captivity since they require their local soil to encase their eggs in
Where did you hear that? Sounds interesting, I've never heard of eggs of anything that needed native soil (just vampire coffins).

Where did you hear that? Sounds interesting, I've never heard of eggs of anything that needed native soil (just vampire coffins).
According to Wikipedia (and via citation link, David Grimaldi’s “Evolution of the insects”), timema females encrust their eggs in particles of soil they have consumed. Following this, many species will have their eggs carried off into ant nests where the nymphs will hatch and emerge.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Wikipedia (and via citation link, David Grimaldi’s “Evolution of the insects”), timema females encrust their eggs in particles of soil they have consumed. Following this, many species will have their eggs carried off into ant nests where the nymphs will hatch and emerge.
That's pretty neat but I would imagine a similar soil from anywhere in the world would work. I've never had a chance to even see a live Timema, but I have reared various eastern spp.