Sticker residue on my enclosures!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgerndt

Reaction score
Sorry it's been so long since I posted! I've been busy with work and whatnot.

So here's my problem: I've been able to scavenge some empty plastic food containers that would be perfect for mantis enclosures. The only thing wrong with them is that they have huge stickers over the sides so it's nearly impossible to see what's inside. So I peeled the stickers off, but that horrible sticky residue is left on the containers and I can't scrub that stuff off no matter how hard I try. I've left them to soak in warm water, I've tried scrubbing with a sponge and soap, I even tried using a pocket knife to scrape it off. All that accomplished was a sticky sponge, knife and hands. <_<

I know I'm not the only one here who uses old jars and plastic containers for mantis houses, so how do you get that stuff off? There's gotta be a way!

Thanks in advance, guys!

P.S. I like the updated layout! :D

WD-40.

Toothpaste may also works.(I am a big Mac Gyver fan)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Deby! Long time no see? There's a product called "goof off" at Lowe's or home depot etc. that is supposed to be good for what you are explaining.

How's the Gongy girl doing, was it Alice?

I feel your residue pain. I have huge pretzel jars that have that ungiving glue. I tired of trying and instead cut around it and applied screen to the area with a hot glue gun. It worked pretty well, but now the side with the screen has a little "spring" to it.

Thanks guys! I knew this would be the best place to ask. :lol: I have some cooking oil I can try. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll look for the goof off.

Hey Nick! Alice is doing very well. I've been giving her moths and wild flies (when one sneaks in my house) along with her regular BB's. She's laid two nice ooths so far, and she's getting nice and plump again. ^_^ I just wish they were fertile, because I'm definitely going to want to raise some Gongy nymphs one day.

I can add that 95% alcohol doesn't do very much on the bad ones.

There are some it is great on, but those same ones are usually manageable (with some difficulty) with just warm water.

You can see the companies are really in it to help us with the reduce/reuse/recycle. [wink]

I feel your residue pain. I have huge pretzel jars that have that ungiving glue. I tired of trying and instead cut around it and applied screen to the area with a hot glue gun. It worked pretty well, but now the side with the screen has a little "spring" to it.
I do the same thing to my pretzel containers when I use them for mantids. Even if it is springy, I think they make great containers for mantids. :) I have one that I keep roaches in that I peeled the label off of, but instead of being sticky, it is white and papery, so I just wrote the species name on it. Screening that one would probably be a bad idea. :mellow:

I'd suggest you modify the LID instead of the side for ventilation in "springy" walled containers. I've tried both and it works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been able to find Goof Off locally lately, but its kissing cousin, Goo Gonei is great. I have a can in front of me and it specifically mentions adhesive residue. Check the price of a can and then check out the cost of a can of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) at yr local auto store, it will probably be a lot cheaper and just as effective. Obviously, all of these petroleum derivatives are highly flamable.

Latest posts