Stink Bug Nymphs as Feeders (video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
I've been supplementing the diet of my mantis nymphs with these. They really seem to like them and I've found I can collect the eggs and hatch them right in my mantis enclosures. They don't live more than a day or two after hatching because there are no plants for them to feed on, but that's long enough to make good use of them. I collect the nymphs off the plants when I can find them which is probably even more nutritious.

I find the eggs under the leaves of the squash vines in my garden, but you can find them on many types of plants.

Note that the nymphs are black and green when freshly hatched, then turn black and red shorty after.

Music by Precarious

Watch Heterochaeta occidentalis L3 eat a stink bug nymph here:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18505

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow dude. This vid is awesome and so is the music. Do the stink bugs smell when the mantis bites into it :lol: ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow dude. This vid is awesome and so is the music. Do the stink bugs smell when the mantis bites into it :lol: ?
I feed the adults to mantids when I find them. They eat em just like any other bug.

I feed the adults to mantids when I find them. They eat em just like any other bug.
I can't get mine to eat the adults, but that may be because all my larger mantids favor flying insects. Maybe I'll get to try once some of my other species get bigger.

And you guys are quick! I just posted this and already 2 comments. I didn't even get to upload the Heterochaeta video yet!

Cool video. :)

You are very quick with your editing!

I've been working on the same crappy footage video with my own music for weeks now lol

Cool video. :)

You are very quick with your editing!

I've been working on the same crappy footage video with my own music for weeks now lol
Haha! I'll probably be posting a few more today.

What are you using? I use Sony Vegas 10. Very simple and there are some good tutorials on YouTube. If you've used Sony Acid you'll catch on real quick.