Straight from the horses mouth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's odd the person in charge of deciding what requires permits would decide mantids are a risk to pollinators but tropical spiders, many of which build webs and catch all manner of pollinators, are just fine.
That's exactly what I keep thinking about, I find it very ironic. In my opinion, tarantulas can do a lot more damage in the wild (and to humans), not to mention most people are scared of them. Why ban an insect but not the arachnids? I'm not saying to ban the spiders, (I find them interesting and even have one), but it just irritates me a bit seeing that they are not held back by laws.

It is relatively new, the decision to 'make' mantids 'illegal' began in 2005 with importation halted by early 2006. It's odd the person in charge of deciding what requires permits would decide mantids are a risk to pollinators but tropical spiders, many of which build webs and catch all manner of pollinators, are just fine.
I mean't that this didn't just come up last week or something by saying not new. I agree with you on the second part. That is why I asked him because the whole issue leaves me scratching my head. But then again this is the government we're talking about. When do they ever do anything that made sense.

Why not just permit certain species. Tropical species have very little chance of establishing themselves in the US. Maybe make them illegal in FL but that could be it.

I guess the question now is are all native US mantids legal in all states?(including those they are nonnative to?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just permit certain species. Tropical species have very little chance of establishing themselves in the US. Maybe make them illegal in FL but that could be it.I guess the question now is are all native US mantids legal in all states?(including those they are nonnative to?)
I live in Canada, and all exotic mantids are banned, we only can have Lineutra minor, Tenodera and Stagmomantis. They are afraid that the exotic mantids from other countries.... warmer countries, will reproduce in Canada! I was so angry when i read this because everyone knows how cold it gets in Canada! Even the species that go threw diapause are not able to withstand the cold. I have searched many parks and forest looking for Tenodera, and even spoken to a local breeder via Email, and he was only able to find Tenodera in the sub urbs of Vancouver. Now if Tenodera can not survive in Vancouver i doubt no other species would be able to survive either. The government is kinda crazy here, and on the Canadian reptile forums i usually get shunned for having mantids.

I live in Canada, and all exotic mantids are banned, we only can have Lineutra minor, Tenodera and Stagmomantis. They are afraid that the exotic mantids from other countries.... warmer countries, will reproduce in Canada! I was so angry when i read this because everyone knows how cold it gets in Canada! Even the species that go threw diapause are not able to withstand the cold. I have searched many parks and forest looking for Tenodera, and even spoken to a local breeder via Email, and he was only able to find Tenodera in the sub urbs of Vancouver. Now if Tenodera can not survive in Vancouver i doubt no other species would be able to survive either. The government is kinda crazy here, and on the Canadian reptile forums i usually get shunned for having mantids.
So now. If it's freezing cold in the winter in Canada (and I have been snowed in November as far south as Central Ontario), how does Litaneutria minor survive in British Columbia? In my part of the country it survives temps of 115F (46C) in the summer and almost non existent winters. I think that we talked about this once on chat. So at that rate, why couldn't other desert species like Blepheropsis mendica settle there? :D

Just wish more species could tolerate Michigans weather other then the european and never seen a chinese in michigan in all my 39 years and prob dont mean they are not here but where I lived never seen a single chinese and seen so many europeans over the years!

The whole mantids v/s spiders thing sure is odd. However I bet it has more to do with what happened to be in the spotlight at the time than with any real logic behind it. If you keep spiders, just be HAPPY they didn't apply in progression of logic in their decisions....

As far as the getting a permit being difficult for hobbyists....that is a little surprising.

I have an extensive collection of exotic plants from all over the world. In order to import all sorts of paperwork, but once you have them, you don't need any sort of "keeping" permit.

Plants suffer the same risks of carrying in pathogens (perhaps MORE risk) as any mantid.

The risks are real, and do need to be addressed by the government. However, the fact that the laws are so inconsistent is indicative of the quality of the decision makers.

Might simply being a matter of recruiting some congressman into the hobby, and setting him or her on the case.....anyone close with some congressmen? :rolleyes:

I was told I could apply for a special permit for my situation however Iwould have to cite my sources and I am not sure that is something I want to do. I mean they could google it and find who sells mantids so part of me wants to do it.

HEllo,

Well Rick,

If they were to issue permits for you I wonder if they will only be for Native mantis from another States???

If it is in fact for Exotics, you can easily get mantis from UK,Germany or any other European contry as long as you provide the suppliers info.

My friend and I used to have State permits for mantids, but they were revocked after a little problem with USDA. They were the ones that cancel those permits and when we contact the person who issued the permtis for us, he just said "We made a mistake,sorry"

There are a few hobbiest with permits, but it has to be a special case.

good luck to you. I hope you do get them so you can supply me with some Metallyticus sp ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

francisco

HEllo,Well Rick,

If they were to issue permits for you I wonder if they will only be for Native mantis from another States???

If it is in fact for Exotics, you can easily get mantis from UK,Germany or any other European contry as long as you provide the suppliers info.

My friend and I used to have State permits for mantids, but they were revocked after a little problem with USDA. They were the ones that cancel those permits and when we contact the person who issued the permtis for us, he just said "We made a mistake,sorry"

There are a few hobbiest with permits, but it has to be a special case.

good luck to you. I hope you do get them so you can supply me with some Metallyticus sp ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

francisco
Yeah but I see it as invitiing "the man" into my life which I don't want.

So now. If it's freezing cold in the winter in Canada (and I have been snowed in November as far south as Central Ontario), how does Litaneutria minor survive in British Columbia? In my part of the country it survives temps of 115F (46C) in the summer and almost non existent winters. I think that we talked about this once on chat. So at that rate, why couldn't other desert species like Blepheropsis mendica settle there? :D
I think Yen stated that Litaneutria minor requires a diapause? Not so sure on that, maybe I should dig up some old threads.

I think Yen stated that Litaneutria minor requires a diapause? Not ses!o sure on that, maybe I should dig up some old threads.
Well you gave my post more consideration than it deserves, Emile! There are a number (depending on who keeps score) of Litaneutria species in the same general area of the southern border states from Texas westward, so I imagine that sooner or later, some systematist will find that the specimens in B.C. are at least subs if not a different species. The European mantis, Iris oratorio has a sub that doesn't need a diapause, if I remember.

I don't know much about Canadian government, but I imagine that its relationship to the provinces bears broad similarities to that between the U.S. federal government and the states. Many people have asked why members of other states have to be restricted for a problem that lies largely in Florida. The answer is that the Florida State legislature, not noted for its conservationist zeal, has done nothing, and Federal laws have to apply to all states, not just one here and there. The practical, grass roots solution is that federal agencies co opt state resources to push their agenda (the alliance between the feds and local law enforcement agencies in AZ to apprehend illegal aliens is a good example) in those states where there is perceived to be a serious problem and tend to turn a blind eye where there is not.

Please keep it on topic. This thread is not in regards to Canada.

Well, that's interesting. I suppose they would have to be illegal if they are not indigenous. I'm such a criminal. :lol: So I guess I shouldn't be talking about the contents of my packages with the dude at the post office so much (like he gives a damn- he seems like a jaded disgruntled postal worker anyway).

Hello all,

I live in Florida and I'm not too happy about all of this legal stuff. I'm not too fond of the "bug police" watching Florida for mantids ethier.

Can anyone come up with a list of all "exotic mantids" that were accidentally introduced in to the US, that supposedly have taken over. If they start enforcing these bug laws I'm gonna dig an underground bunker where I can safely store my mantids away from these evil bug police officials (dream crushers). LOL

Our policy's priorities are all out of whack i have no faith in their system. All i know is i have my right to pursue happiness, dont need no permit for that.

So does that mean since i am in Wisconsin i can get a Chinese praying mantis, that's the one that's being delivered to me.

Latest posts