Strange behavior, and now a black spot

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraMG

Reaction score
My adult Chinese has had some strange behavior lately. She seems very restless and has been climbing on the glass and falling off onto her back. She's been doing this for a few days and it's worried me, but I just moved some things around so that she can grab a stick or something to get off her back (she's deformed from a mismolt and doesn't move too well). She got a little stuck again today, and when I pulled her out I saw this black spot on her eye. I've read a few topics about this supposed rubbed eye syndrome, but there's very little info on it and suspicion on whether it's a real issue. Combined with her strange behavior, it concerns me. I know there would be little or nothing I could do to treat, but I'm wondering if it seems like something I should put her in the freezer for a peaceful death or not. Any help is appreciated. She just doesn't seem right.

IMGP5654.jpg

IMGP5652.jpg

I got shield with a spot in its eye too and she is as normal as any other shield and she even has a mean streak if disturbed!

No worries! :) That is not rubbed eye syndrom. More like mantis cataracts. :lol: I find this happens more often with old age.

No worries! :) That is not rubbed eye syndrom. More like mantis cataracts. :lol: I find this happens more often with old age.
That is so strange! She's 4 months (almost to the day) and it wasn't there last night because I fed her a freshly shed roach and recorded and photographed her and it wan't there at all.

The spots are common. Some believe they are caused by rubbing on the enclosure, but I have seen them more than once on wild mantids too.

Well, at least I know what her strange and restless behavior has been now! Got home from errands and my boyfriend is worried because Zorak hasn't moved from this one spot in a few hours. I got a bit closer and noticed she was actually laying an ooth!
eek.gif
I'm a rookie at this part, so I guess...perhaps...I may have overreacted a bit. I'm very grateful for the advice on her eye everyone!
biggrin.gif

One of my Limbatas had this in his eye when I brought him home from the wild and now it has gone away.

Grats on the ooth! Although maybe not fertilized.. I think you said you only had one Chinese.

That's cool anyways, now you learned something and have a souvenir. ;)

I've had adult female ghost mantises live about six months. Occasionally, one of the eyes will develop a small hole that will actually grow as it dries and disintegrates further over the course of months, and with no apparent detriment to the lifespan of the mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I haven't mated her. I only have the one Chinese. If someone wants to send me a male, I will!
biggrin.gif
I just got home from camping and the poor girl looks deflated
sad.gif
They do get restless right before.

They do get restless right before.
I noticed!
laugh.gif
Restless is almost too light of a word for her behavior. Climbing and falling on her back and flailing. I thought she was in her death throws! She got through it and I'm glad I know what that looks like now!

5c4a4655.jpg

2280ed87.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: