Strange Stance?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkspeed

Reaction score
I have notice on more than one occasion that one of my orchid mantids stands kinda funny... It rocks its whole body forward to where it is almost laying on its lower thorax and then puts its elbows way up high... it looks like a little kid laying on the floor watching TV... If bothered it stands up straight and skitters away. Is this abnormal or do Orchids just do that sometimes?

P3281814.jpg

P3281818.jpg

P3281817.jpg

P3281816.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is normal for them to do that when scared. If you look at the calendar pics, I took a pic of one of my females that I had startled. She has the same pose as yours. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find mantis on first photo ;p. They have good camouflage xDD. It's threating pose IMO

How adorable, they look like they are posing for the camera saying, "I'm ready for my close up." ^.~

Cool... since only one of them ever does that I was a little worried... wierd thing is, It does it when it is left alone for a while, but when I mess with it it stands back up straight... thus making it hard to get a good shot of the behavior. Almost like its a secret.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, orchids do that with their arms. The first time I got them, I wanted to ask them, "Are your arms too big for you?"

Latest posts