Striking and missing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.hoffmann

Reaction score
Hi, new to this so not really aware of nuances so apologies if this is a dumb question/have missed an established thread about this

My Hierodula Membranacea Nymph (I5, newly acquired on Tuesday, diet of brown crickets) is striking at prey but not actually catching it. He's generally been pretty lethargic after feeding on Tuesday (he had one cricket about the size of his abdomen, maybe a tad smaller) that he caught immediately. He hasn't gone for water and is in a mesh enclosure in a large open space so presumably not an issue with ventilation. Temp sits at about 20/21C and humidity sits at 40-50%

I have no idea how long ago he (?) molted so no idea if he's close to molting again or how to tell if that's it? He also "jumped" off his perch into a shrub the other day (got scared of my hand which I was not expecting as I read they tend to attack first) and he hid in there for a bit, was worried he was hurt so fished him out gently after a few hours but he seems fine physically (no bent or misshapen areas, limbs all work, and he came out for a bit on my hand and was wandering round fairly energetically).

Am I worrying about nothing or is this something I should be concerned about such as his vision being impaired?

20240606_191932.jpg
20240607_094300.jpg

I've seen my share of misstrikes. On the other hand, I have yet to see a mantis drink anything. I suspect they get their hydration from their food. Give it a few days. Most likely, things will turn around.
Ah okay, sounds a lot like I'm falling into the worrying about nothing category here then 😅 which, to be fair, is where I'd rather be!

im sure he will be fine, if a mantis doesnt want to eat they can still strike at prey, but they wont grab it. as for being lethargic, hes most likely digesting his previous meal. ironically i actually do have a hierodula membranacea with impaired vision, he doesnt even attempt to strike at prey at all, and from the pictures you attached he looks fine to me :3

Last edited:

Latest posts