Striped Fly (this is gross)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky

The Skate Life
Reaction score
I usually feed my mantis green bottle flies and blue bottle flies. Today I found a huge black and white stripped fly. I frozed it to calm it down, then I fed it to my I. oratoria. When she grabbed it, I witness a horrible sickening display of maggot like creatures just gushing out from the flies abdomen.

There are some still on the mantis, she ate some, do you guys think this will be a problem?

050619--10--ZebraFlyOnTrashCanLid.jpg

Tha happened when I squished a fly inside my house. Hopefully, she shewed the maggots long and hard to kill them.

ditto with the squashed fly. i was really young but i still remember it. shouldnt be a problem, i dont think they will cause your mantis harm.

I once squished a fly like that and witnessed the same display. I figured it was just a species of fly that gave live birth, and those were the young.

I don’t know if it’s correct or not, but people around here call them horse flies because they’re so big and hang around the horse stables. I have not noticed the described incident, but I have fed those types of flies to my mantids without any problems.

Sweet Fancy Moses! You people with the worms coming out of the bugs! Gag! I was a horse person and dealt with those flies constantly, but they never burst open with worms.

I thought dentistry was gross. :shock:

It certainly doesn't sound very nice, but I doubt the maggots will hurt you mantid in anyway, might be quite nutrtious. :)

That's definitely not a horse fly. It looks like Sarcophaga sp., and most likely Sarcophaga haemorrhoidalis (the common name is "flesh fly"), which I see a lot in southern California.

Horse flies are a totally different family of flies, and they look and behave quite differently, not to mention that horse flies are still even bigger and they have piercing mouth parts to suck your BLOOD.

yeah, AFK is right. I was just looking them up. But what if a long worm came out? I found a "flesh fly" in water left from rain. I fed it to my chinese and a long black worm came out from the flies butt. Its about 4 inches long and its really good at swimming. I still have it with me.

sounds like could be a parasite of flesh flies, precious.

god, i fuggin hate parasites. gives me the bejeebies. :oops:

yeah, AFK is right. I was just looking them up. But what if a long worm came out? I found a "flesh fly" in water left from rain. I fed it to my chinese and a long black worm came out from the flies butt. Its about 4 inches long and its really good at swimming. I still have it with me.
Can we see a picture? Maybe Sparky will buy it from you. :p

Latest posts