Struggling with euthenasia...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltarMantis

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my mantis molted badly in her final molt and did not appear to be able to inflate her wings or walk and had just gone through a very difficult 2 weeks before having originally failed that molt. I was very torn up but felt that there was no oppurtunity for her to improve and little chance for mobility after two weeks of not being able to hardly walk. I put her in the freezer earlier today and I feel like honestly. I don't know if I'm looking for consolation or what. I suppose it's far too late to pull her out and give her another day or so even if she survived thawing (something I've heard is possible for mantids). Replied much appreciated.

You did the right thing. I'm sorry you had to go through this, it's not an easy thing to do. You should leave her in the freezer for another day to be safe. I've read that even when conditions are ideal, molts can go wrong or mantises can die unexpectedly.

You should have crushed her really. I'm not trying to be harsh but I say if you have to let it go better to have it go quickly. I know this all too well I had lost a couple mantids I raised from nymphs to adult and it was hard as could be but sometimes you just have to let them go. I still miss them... try not to feel bad. It's just the way it goes sometimes. As I write this I am having to put my cat of 15+ years down and it has me feeling (I'd assume) similar to you. It sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
SunofRa I'm so sorry for your loss, I had to put down my *cat of 15 this summer she had kidney failure. Sending you my thoughts. I honestly just felt like crushing her seemed very unceremonious which I understand may very well just be human construct but ultimately it felt sacrilegious from my perspective. She looked like her sex organs or cents on the end of her abdomen were also not properly covered though this may have been part of the molting process, I am unsure.

This may be one aspect of mantis keeping that most new keepers have not thought about. For me is one of the hardest. As insects are so short lived we will face this many times while maintaining mantis.    When I need to I use the freezer for 48 hrs or so. Doesn't make it easier.

Sorry for your loss, pal! Sometimes its better to let them go, as keeping them around could be selfish (not saying that you are selfish).

Unfortunately the crazy thing about this world is nothing lasts forever. But memories can, and your guys friendship does as well!!!

RIP

Happy hunting!

~Michael 

We've all been through this heartache. You did the right thing. Mantises are amazing pets but they also force you to develop a bit of a tough skin due to their short if amazing lives and various complications. 

Im doing better now. I had been taking care of her for a around an hour cumulatively for the last 2 ish weeks every day while she was dealing with her failed molt. She was the last of the around 60-80 kin. Aleast now I will have a bit more time in the day to take care of my own matters. Honestly I love insects but i am not sure how i feel about keeping them caged up inside a building all the time and the poor lives their feeders live (which can all very easily be wiped away from the conscience depending on your views about insect consciousness ). Thankful everyone for your respects I wish you all well :)

Im doing better now. I had been taking care of her for a around an hour cumulatively for the last 2 ish weeks every day while she was dealing with her failed molt. She was the last of the around 60-80 kin. Aleast now I will have a bit more time in the day to take care of my own matters. Honestly I love insects but i am not sure how i feel about keeping them caged up inside a building all the time and the poor lives their feeders live (which can all very easily be wiped away from the conscience depending on your views about insect consciousness ). Thankful everyone for your respects I wish you all well :)
Actually, after this thread started I found my first ill mantis on her back. After 2 days of minute raptor movements, she died.

I have been kicking around the same thoughts as above. Have not decided to stop maintaining mantis but will be looking at how I do it.

LOL to someone that loves flies we are sure monsters. Probably how birds feel about people who keep cats.

I have had to euthanize too. Only with extreme cases have I had to crush. I hate it with all my being, tho.

I have found its not too hard to care for mismolts, Ive cared for a dozen+ so far. Even if they cant walk, that doesn't mean they still cant enjoy being alive!

I cared for one little girl, she had one leg left by her last molt. I tried working out a way to hang her but that failed badly. But before that, she had a good life, good food, warm sunny window to watch out of, outside time with me etc. 

My first mantis, Sticky taught me everything I know. I love it!

I love reading all the responses here. You guys(and gals) are great! Funny how something so tiny can affect you so much and have so much personality. The last mantids I kept and raised I just let them go. It always coincided that it was around early summer/late spring when they were ready. I wanted them to enjoy the last remaining months. With a brave but tearful gesture I set them out on a close bush and watched them relax. I would go out every few hours to see if they were there. Then they left and I never saw them again. Bittersweet.

Latest posts