Stung

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.J.

Reaction score
So today while collecting I got stung by a florida bark scorpian, its hurts but not that bad. So does anyone have any good sting or bite stories?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not like a recent encounter, but a factual one anyway. I was doing a little gardening to make a little money during my University days in Fresno, CA. I wanted to remove the weeds that were growing out the low growing Juniper bush. When I reached in to do the task, I noticed I might be sticking my bare hand into a questionable spider's web. Sure enough, before I could react quick enough a black widow nailed me on the back of my hand. My hand within a few minutes swelled up like a rubber balloon. It did not hurt too much. Slowly it went down to normal, but a subsequent sting I received from a bee later in the day itched like crazy all weekend. Some people are more immune than others to such things.

Wow. Didn't know there were scorpions in florida.

I got bit by a mosquito once.
Really? lol, there's plenty. Mostly in the wooded areas, often under bark of fallen pine trees. I can say that I've probably been bitten by mosquitos around 10,000+ times. Pretty average when you're outside all the time. You have ungodly luck to get a single mosquito bite. :p

Really? lol, there's plenty. Mostly in the wooded areas, often under bark of fallen pine trees. I can say that I've probably been bitten by mosquitos around 10,000+ times. Pretty average when you're outside all the time. You have ungodly luck to get a single mosquito bite. :p
I've been bit lots of times. Just trying to be funny comparing my mosquito bit to a scorpion. :clown: But i really didn't know there were scorpions in Florida.

I've been bit lots of times. Just trying to be funny comparing my mosquito bit to a scorpion. :clown: But i really didn't know there were scorpions in Florida.
Yup 4 diffrent types, not including the introduced stuff.

I was stung by a bee when it flew down my shirt, it stung my neck. Now when I hear buzzing I flinch with my shoulders and cover my neck... lol

I accidentally kicked a soccer ball into and log that apparently had the nest of Vespula germanica, the european wasp, in it. Lets just say about 100 angry wasps flew out at me and my friends. It wasn't fun.

Oh, and I have another one. When I sat on my couch in the summer, I felt a sharp pain in my leg. Originally, I ignored it. But 1 minute later, when I moved, It got a lot worse and didn't stop. So when I looked right at the edge of my shorts, I see an angry Yellowjacket with his mouth open and his stinger in my leg. I ripped it out, threw it on the floor and threw various objects at it. I never sat on that couch again and, since the stinger was in for over a minute, it was extremely swollen and stayed red for over a month

I was wading barefoot through a stream when I stepped on a yellow jacket. I've hated those insects since.

Almost got tagged by a wild cottonmouth as a child in Florida, that was cool. Grabbed the sucker's tail, and pulled him out, in mid air he almost tagged me in the side, missed by a few inches.

Speaking of mesquitos, I got tagged so many times when I was in the Amazon, it was unreal. I literally had "chicken pox" like bumps all over my boyd for a month, well over 200 bites total.

Bit my mantids a few times, but I've been lucky considering I love to stick my hands and such into unknown territory.

Almost got tagged by a wild cottonmouth as a child in Florida, that was cool. Grabbed the sucker's tail, and pulled him out, in mid air he almost tagged me in the side, missed by a few inches.

Speaking of mesquitos, I got tagged so many times when I was in the Amazon, it was unreal. I literally had "chicken pox" like bumps all over my boyd for a month, well over 200 bites total.

Bit my mantids a few times, but I've been lucky considering I love to stick my hands and such into unknown territory.
Close call about the cottonmouth, did you know it was venemous?

I was walking around the many state parks here in Florida and nearly trampled on a 5' eastern diamond back, got about 2 feet from it, within striking range, and it didn't even rattle. It just stared at me and I was about 45 minutes away from my car, glad I didn't get bit! The girth on that thing was immpressive.

As far as insects, I've never really been stung/bitten by anything worth mentioning.

I forgot some stories...

I was pinched pretty hard by a blue flash in a threat pose.

Also, when I was at a summer camp, my counselors and I would go down to the creek to flip some rocks for salamanders. We had just found a three foot rock half in the water. My counselor managed to flip the rock, and had pinned a northern watersnake behind the head. So, I tried to reach in and grab the snake behind the head, but he managed to nip me on the way to his head.

Latest posts