Styptic powder substitute?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
I have an adult female H. multispina who was injured a while ago from a mating mishap. When the male tried to mount, he somehow bent her metanotal leg backwards at the joint between femur and tibia, it formed a small clot with hemolyph and wouldn't bend there.

Somehow she reinjured it and it started bleeding last night, at least 3 large drops, and clotted again.

To prevent further injury and bleeding from the area, I would like to amputate the leg in the middle of the femur, However, I am afraid that it will bleed again and the only thing I have here, that I can think to use, is Bisquick.

Does anyone have any suggestions a better choice of product (that stops bleeding) that can be found around the house?

Also, Should I cut in the middle of the femur, or closer to the coxa or tibia?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what you will use from around the hose that will aid in blood coagulation, however the best method in amputation is to cut back as far as you can to the last usable joint. If you do not, it may die back to that point anyway, so it is better to take off the unusable portion of the leg. Perhaps you can crimp the cut with tweezers and apply a little super glue. If the glue does not go systemically into the mantid's circulatory system, it will seal very quickly and stop the bleeding of course.

I am not sure what you will use from around the hose that will aid in blood coagulation, however the best method in amputation is to cut back as far as you can to the last usable joint. If you do not, it may die back to that point anyway, so it is better to take off the unusable portion of the leg. Perhaps you can crimp the cut with tweezers and apply a little super glue. If the glue does not go systemically into the mantid's circulatory system, it will seal very quickly and stop the bleeding of course.
Thanks, I hope I have some super glue here.

My dad cut a huge peice of meat off his thumb(that should have had stiches) but instead of going to the doctor he just superglued it back on, and you can't even tell it happened by looking at his thumb now! He is a stubborn old man. LOL!

Yep, just apply the superglue -- the thick variety is best -- directly to the wound with a toothpick, but be really carefull to make sure that the wet glue doesn't get stuck to anything else.

And yes, some of those old men can be really stubborn.

Latest posts