substrate and cricket problems

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summers

Reaction score
hi,

I am finding the small crickets i am feeding my mantid at the moment will jus disappear into the moss at the bottom of the enclosure. Bigger ones might be ok in there but im not sure if she can handel them yet. Should i take her out everytime i feed her? Im not sure what to do about it :? Any suggestions will be greatfully recieved!

Thanks

Thin out the moss and provide a way for the crickets to climb to the top. A rough stick will work. Or you may want to try houseflies until your mantis gets a bit bigger.

yeah thats a good idea! i will see if i can get some flies! i think they are all dying out now coz the weather is starting to get colder tho!! :? :(

Im not sure if thinning out the moss will make a difference because the crickets are only about 5mm they will hide under the smallest bit of moss. I will try and get some flies but im not sure if i can now :?

I mean't buy some. I buy fly larva from a place called grubco. You keep them in the fridge and you take some out and they turn into flies in about a week. Not sure if you have a place that sells them around you though.

ahhh ok!! that would be easier! lol! I take it jus put in some fruit/veg in with them when they hatch. I might see if i can find some flightless flies! Otherwise i will have much trouble getting them out! lol

ok found some from livefoods.co.uk. Gonna order them and see how they go! I also did a search and realise that its best to open them 1st outside!! lol, coz some are apparently not flightless!!

Did you buy fruitflies or houseflies? I think fruitflies will be too small for your mantis.

Different than what I use but should be ok. I put all my flies in the freezer until they slow down then I take out what I need.

yeah ive heard of doing that. Think i read it on here. Also have heard it before when reading about david blane thats what he does for one of his "tricks" brings flies back to life :roll:

The fruit flies seem to be able to handle it better than the larger flies. I've forgot to take fruit flies otu after like 15 mins and they still came back. The houseflies can't do that.

yeah i seem to recall trying this when i was younger :roll: jus to see what would happen! lol, i killed it!

think i will be more carefull this time! :)