Substrate for Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you even need a substrate? I make sure RH is 40-50 with humidifier and I spritz regularly(nymphs and adults). I have never had a problem with moltings and those hideaway feeders have no sanctuary from the beasts. It works for me. Any other "non" substrate success stories?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose you don't need it. It just seems naked without it.. haha. I know my idolo especially was very clumsy for a while there and was always falling down. Without all the cushion, she probably would've hurt herself. Plus, it's sometimes easier to roll up a poop-covered paper towel and slap a new one down.

I used to use buy different substrates to use for my enclosures. However, as I got to 30+ enclosures in use, it got expensive and I gradually switched to paper towels. Once I noticed how dirty the paper towels get, I realized that I may not have been cleaning enclosures with substrate as often as I should. Now I use paper towels in all but one enclosure. I buy the coconut fiber for my frog terrarium and I've continued to use this in one of my terrariums because it looks nice.
LOL! it's true, using a moss or wood chip substrate, you cant see all the poop, half-eaten bugs, dead bugs, cricket legs,

etc. and it builds up, and then you go spraying water on it every day!! That cant posibly be healthy for the mantis!!??

I also use moss in most, but I have several with no substrate at all. No problems as of yet...

Here's a (crude) version of what I'm using now for smaller nymphs (forgive the rushed glue job). Same features I like (screen on sides and top for climbing, foam-stopped feeding holes), plus the advantage of a "bottom" that comes off easily (really it's the top). I can clean it super-easy now - just lift everything off the base, and give the "bottom" a healthy scrubbing.

I like the spongy shelf-liner material better than paper towels, moslty becuase I can reuse it.

I have less and less elements in my L1-L3 containers. But I need to get my lights reinstalled overhead, so I don't get side-molters.

All my larger enclosures are using coconut & wood chip substrates.

You can see why I try to keep the L2's on fruit flies - they just waste the House and Blue Bottles. A mess of headless flies litter the enclosures. So sad.

My other, similar setups have a large sponge in the bottom. I just hadn't put it in this one yet.

5e96ff8f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using sand this year and so far it has worked great. No issues with mold and it is very easy to clean. I simply cut the tongs off a plastic fork and use it as a rake. Then I take a bend business card and simply rake the poops and leftover carnage onto it. As well I think it does a pretty good job of retaining moisture levels in the housing for whatever excess water runs down the sides of the housing from misting.

My girls are coming to the end of their life cycles, probably the last 3 wild mantids still alive in Idaho now that the snow has arrived..

I've used many soft things to line the bottom with, tarantulas, baby alligators, snakes, but none seem to work all that well, and I think someone is stealing my mantis when I'm not looking? But the bottom of the tanks are pretty clean! :blink:

Is there any real advantage to having a substrate at all?

Besides the fact that it looks nicer, is there any real need?

I guess it can help with RH, but I have 2 humidifiers going 24/7, and mist them (the mantids, not the humidifiers!! ;) )

in the afternoon.

I keep my room RH at 60% all the time.

I used tissue. Works fine. I mist the cages but most of the mist hits the walls and not the substrate so it all goes pretty well :) . The droplets usually help the mantid drink more and it doesn't stay wet long enough to mold. I also keep lots of strips of screen going back n forth like twigs, through the cage. Good for climbing and also good for holding water droplets.

Latest posts