Substrate

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litleape

Reaction score
I was using about 3 inches of organic potting soil in a 32 oz cup for my L3 nymphs. I thought it would help keep up the humidity because I live in the desert and humidity is my biggest battle. I am starting to worry that it might not be a "clean" environment over time and also that mold could be a problem. Not to mention the feeder insects hide in the dirt. What would you all suggest as a better substrate?

I was using about 3 inches of organic potting soil in a 32 oz cup for my L3 nymphs. I thought it would help keep up the humidity because I live in the desert and humidity is my biggest battle. I am starting to worry that it might not be a "clean" environment over time and also that mold could be a problem. Not to mention the feeder insects hide in the dirt. What would you all suggest as a better substrate?
You could place a layer of kitchen roll over the soil, ensure it fits the cup well. This will help hold moisture in the soil + it will stop the insects burying in the soil.

It might work :p

I only use sphagnum moss from New Zealand.No mold no smell.I used coconut dirt for a while,better put nothing than this.

Kitchen roll is perfect but it could mold if too wet and covered with preys remains...