SUCCESS #2!!!!!!!!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!!

The male is on his way out, sadly. He fertilized two females for sure and possibly one other. The two good connections were over 7 hours, but the one I'm not sure about lasted only ten minutes. I'm not giving up on that female because I have heard of mantids being fertilized with only a few minutes of connection.   

Problem is, I mixed up the maybe mated girl with the remaining unmated female and I don't remember which one was bred! I'll just have to incubate both females' ooths.

- MantisGirl13

Give him a few days to rest. Remember is both mature and experienced. That is my excuse for many things.

I might want some nymphs too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The male refuses to eat and is slowing down. He has flies in his cage but his abdomen is paper thin and he won't eat or drink much.

I'll let you know as soon as I have nymphs to sell. Anyone else reading this thread, if you would like to be put on a wait list for nymphs, let me know! No commitment required. 

- MantisGirl13

The days are numbered. I hope he will last but realize this is probably whistling in the dark.
I know. I'm not devastated at his death because he did his job. I didn't want to fertilize all of my females anyway. 3/4 is fine.

- MantisGirl13

Exciting :)  how long do they normally take to hatch and what conditions do they need?
I believe they take about a month to hatch. They are fine at room temp, no specific humidity, but not higher than 60%. They grow fairly fast and they are aggressive to prey. They will eat nearly anything the right size. They are very handleable and friendly.

-MantisGirl13

Eight nymphs so far. Slow hatch, but I have another ooth due to hatch any day now too!

- MantisGirl13

Gratz on the hatch :) How are your little babies doing?

How many nymphs can an Ghost ooth give?

I am still waiting for my girls to lay their ooths

Babies are doing well! I didn't get large hatches, but that's ok. A ghost ooth usually hatches around 30-40 nymphs.

- MantisGirl13

Thanks. I am still waiting for my female ghost to lay her ooth. I am not sure she is mated since I have never seen her connecting with the male. Yesterday she ate a big chunk of grasshopper

I had 3 females and 3 males in the same tank, but I only saw one pair actually connect. Many weeks and 15+ ooths later (!), I have already had at least one ooth from each female hatch in the past week or so (small hatches, only about 6 from each)

I had 3 females and 3 males in the same tank, but I only saw one pair actually connect. Many weeks and 15+ ooths later (!), I have already had at least one ooth from each female hatch in the past week or so (small hatches, only about 6 from each)
Congrats! They first ooth or two won't yield as many nymphs as the subsequent ones. 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts