Successful hatch!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plex

Reaction score
Two days ago a Tenodera sinensis ootheca that my grandmother brought home from a gardening place here (one of two, they came in a package of a pair) started hatching. Two days later it looks like it might finally be finishing up hatching- and by the looks of it, there are at least a hundred, though some aren't all that strong looking or are already dead. Tonight, now that the ooth has seemingly finished hatching for the time being, comes the separation phase into smaller groups and feeding of the babies!

I'm not sure right now of how many I will keep from this batch, it depends on whether the second ooth hatches. I'll be posting some pictures later when I'm separating them all. How many would everyone suggest keeping of this species to have a good chance of having at least one or two pairs make it to adulthood?

about 20 mantids to get 2 or 3 to adult is what I've been told. I started with 20 and now I have 6 (4 are L2 and two are L1)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks D_hemptress, and okay BugLover, I'll keep probably a dozen from each ooth then since there's such a high death rate.

Congrats on your hatch! Maybe you will find some wild oothecae outside in your yard in the fall from the ones you set free:)

Congrats on your hatch! Maybe you will find some wild oothecae outside in your yard in the fall from the ones you set free:)
That would be cool, I'll be setting some free in my front yard and some free at the park, hopefully some do make it to adult and breed; it would be cool to find wild oothecae over the summer. :)

Wow, congratulations! :flowers:
Thank you