sudden death? - a noob story

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grob

Reaction score
Hopefully you guys aren't too jaded to hear a beginners story...

So I got my first two mantids, two ghosts, Phyllocrania paradoxa, from Rebecca as part of a starter kit.

Everything arrived in great shape, both looked very healthy.

The housefly pupae hadn't eclosed yet but I had some melanogasters and I watched the one ghost eat two - the other wasn't interested.

I ran around outside looking for flies for the finicky one, to no avail. Well, half of the hf pupae I put in a cooling down oven (80-90F) and the next day I had a few flies.

The ghost that ate fruit flies (we'll call him Klaus for simplicity, although I'm beginning to wonder if Klaus is really Klausina) hunted down a hf and happily ate it.

The finicky one (we'll call her Loretta) was interested, lunged a few times, but nothing. Hmm, is Loretta dim, or maybe getting ready to molt? I'll take the fly out and try again tomorrow.

Today I got home from work to this scene:

molt.jpg

Loretta! We hardly knew ye!

But wait, there's a mantis on top of the lid:

newskin.jpg

Any reasonable person would have figured out what happened, but in my noob moment I wondered, "Hmm, why are there suddenly two? Some sort of disturbance in the space-time continuum? Could this be Schrödinger's mantis?"

Of course, all is well, and Loretta has emerged as Loretta 2.0, or maybe it's 4.0 by now.

I guess what threw me is Loretta seemed very interested in the fly and stalked it. I heard that mantids bat at prey when they were getting ready to moult, but I thought that would be only when the fly got too close. Interesting.

Far too jaded. J/k

I've had the same exact thoughts cross my mind when I was first starting out :blush: :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:
They always scare me when they are about to molt. Lol. Why isn't she eating? OMG SHE'S GUNNA DIE! Oh wait, nevermind, all is well. :D

I still get nervous with molting time.

Schrödinger's mantis -- I LOVE it ! Gotta get a T shirt made. :shifty:

Sorry for your loss. This is a troubling case but it is all to familiar. What you are dealing with is a vampire mantis. They sneak into cages when no one is around and suck the resident mantises blood dry, leaving nothing but the skin behind. Then they settle in pretending to be a slightly larger version of the original mantis. These are indeed troubling times we live in.

Sorry for your loss. This is a troubling case but it is all to familiar. What you are dealing with is a vampire mantis. They sneak into cages when no one is around and suck the resident mantises blood dry, leaving nothing but the skin behind. Then they settle in pretending to be a slightly larger version of the original mantis. These are indeed troubling times we live in.
That's a nice story... I mean, a nice fact, a truthful fact

I was recently counting my ghosts currently L3 and was like 1,2,3,4............ OMG where is he at and there he was laying dead in the moss.

Then I did a recount 1, 2, 3, 4,...........5! He was playing :ninja: just above the moss drinking his Sizzurp!

Note to all! I'm talking about water not Promethazine w/Codeine syrup,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., I've dubbed (water) Mantis Sizzurp :D

Odd it cut some of my post off!

Last edited by a moderator:
He was playing :ninja: just above the moss drinking his Sizzurp!
Note to all! I'm talking about water not Promethazine w/Codeine syrup,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., I've dubbed (water) Mantis Sizzurp :D
How weird you mention Sizzurp. I just got back from a skate park in Gadena, and some kid on promethezine just sat down next to me and announced "When I grow up I'm wanna be a rapper" He proceeded to freestyle rap . It was one of the funniest and saddest things I've seen. If there has ever been an "Just Say No" message this was it. Half of what he said didn't rhyme and the other half were just made up words to rhyme with the previous line. WOW.

Sorry for the :eek:fftopic: