Sugar ants?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugLover

Reaction score
Are sugar ants safe for mantids? I have a bunch of nymphs that I'd like to feed with these. I have fed 5+ to my mantidfly (same size as my nymphs) and s/he took them down fine. If these are ok for mantids how could I culture them? I'm hoping to find an ant pile in my yard for raising ants if I can. Thanks!

We used to have sugar ants in our backyard. They lived in a tree and ate it until it rotted on the inside... and eventually snapped in two and fell on our house in a windstorm.

Lol, anyway... Those little guys have chompers on them. I can't really make your decision for you as to whether they are safe to feed or not, but if you do decide to use them to feed your mantids, please be careful and maybe watch one take the ant down and decapitate the head from the body before you leave them alone. :)

Not sure how to culture them, they always just lived in the tree. However, if you know of an ant trail they have set up, or where their nest is located, you can just collect them from there.

I have seen them running across one part of the countertop, but they have been coming less and less. I don't know where this nest is, but I might have seen a few piles in my backyard (I dunno if they're sugar ants). I know they come when I leave some food outside on the ground, so I might try that. I figured they're harmless to people so there might be less of a chance of them hurting a mantis? Also would I need a queen ant if I wanted to culture them? And yes, I will test-feed one of my nymphs, but outside of his/her enclosure because I use sphagnum moss for climbing and my nymphs blend in REALLY well with it lol

If you wanted to culture them, you would need a queen. She's the gal that lays eggs all day and is fertile.

"Harmless to people", sadly, isn't a helpful rule of thumb for feeding your mantids. It all depends on what instar your mantids are. The thing about ants is that, while some may not be able to get a grip with their mandibles on human skin (sugar ants can, though. I've had many instances were they bite me and hang on for a while, just by their jaws.), all it takes is a not-so-precise snip to remove the leg from a small mantis. And in groups, ants can take down much larger prey.

So, if you want to set up an experiment, give one to a mantis of yours. Give the mantis at least 24 hours, maybe longer, to show symptoms or signs of not doing well. And be sure to share your results with us!

Ants are generally not a good choice for mantis food. Most experienced people will tell you to avoid using them as food.

DO not use them. Some ants have formic acid so I would not let my mantids touch them with a 12 foot stick.

Ants are generally not a good choice for mantis food. Most experienced people will tell you to avoid using them as food.
Yeah that's what I was worried about.

my Mantisfly died today :( he was my test subject... His body was on the bottom of his container with the ant's head next to it. His abdomen looked shriveled, too. Too bad, they seemed to be the perfect feeder!

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the year (ok, maybe less) looking for the perfect feeder..... ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Flies are great feeders. They're very plentiful at BBQ's! Or if you have a dog, their poo is the perfect place to catch wild flies.

Flies are great feeders. They're very plentiful at BBQ's! Or if you have a dog, their poo is the perfect place to catch wild flies.
lol no but there are horse stables where I could search... Thanks!

Latest posts