super high humidity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuwu

Reaction score
is it even possible to get 80 - 90% humidity without a humidifier of some sort? because when i use wet moss as substrate, with daily misting, the humidity is only around 60 - 75%.

at different temperatures the humidity will be different even when there is the same amount of water in the air.

warmer temperatures can hold more water in the air so the percentage will be different

does you pet dog need to have super high humidity? :wink:

click Profile at the top. the pics width can be no greater than 80 pixels, and the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB :roll: :D

does you pet dog need to have super high humidity? :wink: click Profile at the top. the pics width can be no greater than 80 pixels, and the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB :roll: :D
Putting a pet dog in a mantis cage can increase humidity, particularly if it has recently gone for a swim.

To increase the humidity, spray the enclosure more often and increase the temperature to 90F and above. Reduce the air ventilation would help.

Getting 80% humidity is difficult to achieve initially. I dont know if this is comparing apples to oranges but with my T.blondi spider I have reached a consistant 80% humidity. Her tank is 80-90% covered by glass and her substrate is about 4 inches deep. I spray the tank once a week give or take. I havent had a mold problem thus far and the spider seems to be very healthy. I am new to the mantids but I would imagine some of these methods can be applied. Good luck!

You can also try using a breathable fabric over open parts of the container that may be able to retain some water. this way you have breathability and increased humidity

:idea: I have thought about using a pot of water covered with mesh which could be placed in the enclosure. If placed over a heat mat the water would evaporate and could just be topped up as it gets low.

What do you reckon?

Alan

wuwu Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:14 pm Post subject: but wouldn't reducing the ventilation be bad since all mantids need good ventilation?
Yes, so clean the container frequently to avoid bacteria or fungus growth, it is hard work to keep a mantis happy!

i think one way to achieve that might be cross-ventilation, putting holes on the sides of the container, specifically nearer the bottom of the enclosure, near the surface of the substrate, as if the container is quite deep/tall, the air towards the bottom can collect and sit and become stagnant and this is where most of the mould happens, due to excrement and waste food items and a humid substrate. so i guess holes in this area would help ventilation greatly yet still allow relatively high humidity. i havent tried this yet as i havent had such a big problem with mould for some time, but in theory it seems to make sense to me, so you might want to give it a go.

PETCO sells a humidifier called tropicaire that that pumps in clean air and humidity at the same time. With this system you could seal the lid completey. It requires an air pump made for a fish tank. I would recommend using a strong air pump to achieve high humidity. I used one of these for a pacman frog and the cheaper pumps did not give me the humidity I was looking for but after I upgraded to a stronger pump It was perfect. I'm new to mantids (in fact I don't even have one yet) so I don't know how well it would work for mantids but I thought I would throw it out there. Here http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=10190 is a link

the main aquarium I use is between 90 - 100% humidity since I changed the lid from mesh to covered tube lighting.

Im not particuarly happy with this level as it seems to wet but need to devise a way to get air into it in the near future..

although it certainly seems to keep the mantis happy and the millipedes are out and about all day climbing and munching.

Latest posts