Surprise Molt!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Reaction score
For the past few days, my Hierodula ??? has been munching on anything and everything. In-fact, just yesterday, she chewed on a giant house fly. It wasn't that long ago that she molted into an L4. Earlier today, I noticed her acting kinda strange. I didn't think anything of it, and since she ate so much the night before, I decided to pass on her usual snack.

Right as I was getting ready to leave for work, this happened:

998578_10151651747039335_1985201147_n.jpg

Her old exoskeleton is laying at the bottom. So far, my experience has been that they'll usually swear off food for a day or two before they begin molting. Is it normal for her to devour an entire mealworm and big housefly a day before she molts?

Yes, it is not a rule they stop eating one day or more before moulting, sometimes they even eat the same day they moult.

Regards

Mine have done both, and other people have said the same thing, too.

Sometimes they'll eat the same day and surprise you with a new "outfit." Other times, you can be expecting the molt because they'll refuse food. Sometimes, though, they'll simply refuse food because they're full.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed the eating a day before or even same day and molting later with very young nymphs like L1-L4. I think once they get older, they need that time to prepare for their molt.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed the eating a day before or even same day and molting later with very young nymphs like L1-L4. I think once they get older, they need that time to prepare for their molt.
For certain species, this is the way it goes for me as well.

Alright guys, thanks! So far my experience is that they always seem to knock their food away for a day or two before the molt and that's all I've read on the Internet. She ate like a champ less than 24 hours before this molt and it just scared me a little. She's doing great and got pretty big this molt. The red on her underside has gotten much more prominent.

Latest posts