Swollen abdomen and black gunk

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barlon

Reaction score
I've got 4 female giant rainforest mantises which I've owned since they hatched and I've been careful keeping their homes clean, but recently one of my mantises has gotten sick and is producing black goo from her abdomen which seems to be very swollen compared to my other three mantises to add she is barely eating but her abdomen keeps getting bigger I'm starting to suspect she could have a parasite of some sort.

I'm hoping someone can tell me whats happening if its just a sickness or if there is a possibility of a parasite, I fear I won't be able to do much for this mantis but if I can find the cause I can hopefully stop it from happening to any of my other mantises.

@Barlon it might have been a bad feeder, I avoid crickets because they can cause sickness and death in mantids. They can give the mantis black death, which is black diarrhea and vomit. Everything else you're doing is great, I would just avoid crickets in the future. 

@Barlon it might have been a bad feeder, I avoid crickets because they can cause sickness and death in mantids. They can give the mantis black death, which is black diarrhea and vomit. Everything else you're doing is great, I would just avoid crickets in the future. 
Is there any reason crickets cause this? and the black death sounds like it fits the problem I can't believe I messed up with their diet but at least I can easily fix this problem and stop it from happening again

@Barlon I can't seem to find the thread that this was discussed on, but crickets carry a bunch of bacteria, plus they're nasty. They sell them for reptiles and reptiles can digest it just fine, but for a mantis it means death. Some people have successfully been feeding crickets with no problems but you have to keep them really really clean. @Sarah K provided a link to an article about the cricket disease but I can't find it. Either way, I wouldn't risk it and throw all the crickets out.

@Barlon I can't seem to find the thread that this was discussed on, but crickets carry a bunch of bacteria, plus they're nasty. They sell them for reptiles and reptiles can digest it just fine, but for a mantis it means death. Some people have successfully been feeding crickets with no problems but you have to keep them really really clean. @Sarah K provided a link to an article about the cricket disease but I can't find it. Either way, I wouldn't risk it and throw all the crickets out.
Thank you for letting me know, are there any other insects you'd suggest to use to replace crickets as one of their main foods? I like to try give my mantises a mix of insects but I always need main foods that are easy to breed or find.

@Barlon I feed mine mealworms, superworms, BB flies, house flies, stable flies, waxworms as a treat, and I'm actually going to the store in a bit to buy dubia roaches. I find that they really really love flies, but I know they it gets pricey to buy spikes, so there are several tutorials on here on how to make your own fly traps. Some ppl also give them moths from outside or other bugs from the outdoors, just make sure your city doesnt spray pesticides.

I could not find that article Sarah linked either which is a shame cause it was very informative.

From what I recall it all comes down to what species of cricket you are feeding and how resistant to the virus that causes the black death they are. I have been avoiding house crickets (which are still sold at one of the pet store chains here and are the species that almost vanished from the pet trade due to the virus) and only use banded crickets (which many have switched to and are resistant). I have not had any issues so far but the person that I get my bugs from seems to have very healthy stock.

Regardless I rather feed flies however I don't always have enough of those to feed my horde. 

Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure the next bunch of mantises I hatch don't ever touch a cricket, but I think I'll have my hands full with feeding all the nymphs I always end up with way too many

@Barlon what are you breeding?
I'm breeding Giant rainforest mantises, I'm also trying to find a mate for my small mantis species I don't know the name of, I had both males and females but sadly the last male died just before my only female reached maturity so now I've got a lone female in need of a mate.

The small species feeds on small ants and termites the females are wingless and fat while the males a slim with wings that cover most their body.

Hey everyone just a small update on the black death problem, the first mantis who has been suffering from it seems to be doing alot better I thought she was a goner but she's come back from near death, also a second mantis is showing signs black goo so on but not as bad as what the first one had.

I've gotten rid of all my crickets and am going to be feeding my mantises woodies and grasshoppers for now until I can find another abundant food source.