Sybilla pretiosa - photos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Byatt

Reaction score
I almost lost the female when taking these - not seen a female fly like that for a long time !

female.jpg

male.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she looks awesome will u be breeding and selling them? i want to get my hands on some :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seems I never replied to this ! I have mated off my only remaining female and she is producing ootheca, though I am not too concerned if they do not hatch as Sheldon is probably going to take over with this species.

Just some new pictures of my remaining adult female....

head.jpg

head2.jpg

head3.jpg

they are an interesting little species but they definitely require more attention than any of the other species i've kept. i started off with 16 and i'm down to 5.

wow, amazing looking species! looks very similar to the arizona unicorn mantis.

I have found this species to be quite simple to culture. At the lower stages (as younger nymhs) they are well suited to a communal setup. Keep them warm with a fairly low humidity and you should do well.

Seems people have lost interest in this species, so this my stir it up !

The last time I saw S. pretiosa nymphs was around '96 when David Oliveira was breeding them !!!! This is the tirst time I have seen them since, so enjoy.....

1st.jpg

1st_2.jpg

1st_3.jpg

i really enjoy mine! hopefully i can breed them, i have 5 sub adults, 4 female and 1 male. i originally had 16 nymphs, but due to my negligence, i lost a lot to starvation and cannibalism.

I have found our culture to be fairly simple to rear and breed with the exception of one or two ootheca which never hatched they have been quite successful.

Nice photos Rob. I expect to see this species everywhere soon, and with good reason too; theyre awsome and they lay like crazy!

Ive got 30+ incubating. But as you may or may not know, i prefer to secure the next generations future before selling, so a few hundred more nymphs and then ill sell.

Latest posts