Taking a Mantis from the Wild

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally think that you shouldn't take native animals from the wild unless you know how to take care of it and release it back were you found it within a week or so. Even then, I discourage it.

I generally think that you shouldn't take native animals from the wild unless you know how to take care of it and release it back were you found it within a week or so. Even then, I discourage it.
I guess the whole point of this topic would be whether it would be all right to take a specific animal from the wild.

I have been catching native species for years. They are certainly doing well during captivity so i don't feel bad about it. I am talking about native species that is not endanger like Carolina mantis, stick mantis, grass mantis, etc. Many Europeans have to travel for many miles to collect wild species and i think we are lucky here to enjoy variety of abundance wild insects for collection. Deforestation has far more impact in harming the species existance and ecology balance compare to collecting it from the wild.

In the US, it all boils down to personal feelings. If you don't like the idea of keeping wild caught mantids, then don't. If keeping them does not bother you, then catch them. It's all up to the individual.

Latest posts