TAMU Insect Collection open house 2010

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@kamakiri: Unfortunately there are only male on that tray. THere are also some adult females needing identification but i didn't check their wing color as all the specimens are dried and stiff.@ Agent A: Well you have your anwers there thanks everyone explaining to Alex.

More native species, Stagmomantis carolina specimen

10tamucarolina1.jpg

Florida bark mantis

10tamugg.jpg

Brunneria borealis

10tamubb.jpg

Oligonicella scudderi

10tamuos.jpg

Oligonicella mexicana - check out the longer pronotum (longer metazona) compare to O. scudderi

10tamuom.jpg

Other specimen besides mantis

10tamumoth.jpg

10tamuassorted2.jpg

It is a tradition to have a group photo before lunch, this year is the same. I have gained lot of weight recently but some should still be able to spot me :D

10tamugrouppic.jpg
why do the barks look as if they're wings are soft like they just finished spreading out and they need to dry? some have wings that looka little too clear for a mantis. also, how long would it take for a mantis to develop full wing color? I noticed it takes 3 days for Creobroter, 1 day for miomantis, hierdula, tenodera, species like that. but what about the barkies?

Very cool Yen.Second on the left?
yep! :)
I was also at the event! Thanks again Yen for giving me a heads up and inviting me to come!It was so amazing to get to go through and enjoy looking at TAMU's immense collection as well

as getting to meet people with such varied disciplines within entomology!
Thanks Amanda for showing up, I hope you and your friends have fun there. :) Your Canon 100 mm macro IS + twin-lite macro flash combination is also one of the attraction for the event :lol: I have also taken the photos of your second and thrid mantis specimen in your pics.This unknown specimen (nymph) from Mexico

10tamuman2a.jpg

10tamuman2.jpg

Eremiaphila sp from Amman, Jordan

10tamueremiaphilla3.jpg

10tamueremiaphilla1.jpg

why do the barks look as if they're wings are soft like they just finished spreading out and they need to dry? some have wings that looka little too clear for a mantis. also, how long would it take for a mantis to develop full wing color? I noticed it takes 3 days for Creobroter, 1 day for miomantis, hierdula, tenodera, species like that. but what about the barkies?
The specimen have been there for years actually. The wings on adult male Florida mantis are actually transparent with some gray marking. Following are some of the recently spread Gonatista grisea from my collection
ggriseadead1.jpg

Florida bark mantis gets the full wing color few hours after molting.

There are a few other new mantis specimen I haven't seen on previous two visits. A specimen from Iraq, looks like an Empusa sp.

10tamuempusa1.jpg

10tamuempusa2.jpg

Female Choerododis sp. (probably rhombicollis)

10tamuChoerododisf.jpg

Male Choerododis sp.

10tamuChoerododism.jpg

Charlie is another bug hunting buddy I met last year, a very knowledgable, humble, and kind chap.

10tamucharlie.jpg

Jeez, Yen! That's one helluva sheild on that female Choerododis!
yeah she's a beauty and have seen better day I am sure.Queen ants

10tamuant.jpg

Looks like some popular jack jumper ant from Australia

10tamuant1.jpg

Some exotic beetles from Africa

10tamubeetle1.jpg

native mantis with ooth

10tamucarolina2.jpg

more beetles

10tamubeetle2.jpg

Assorted insects tray

10tamuassorted2.jpg

Moth

10tamumoth.jpg

Cannibalistic katydid - was told this would rip a praying mantis apart in minutes (Rehnia spinosa = Neobarrettia spinosa ??)

10tamuneobarrettia.jpg

Hopper

10tamuhopper2.jpg

Some of the visitors from Houston area (Amanda and Co. :D )

10tamuhoustongroup.jpg

Another friend from Houston area. Anita is a naturalist from Jesse Jones Park at North Houston where i am going to attend her park program helping out on mantis identification within the park. In return she will help me in translation of some German literature since she's a German!

10tamuanita.jpg

David and Dan bringing out freshly preserved insects for A&M staff to identify before selling them to the public.

10tamu3.jpg

identification in progress.....

10tamu2.jpg

Stick insects

10tamuphasmid.jpg

Roaches

10tamuroach.jpg

Wasps

10tamuwasp.jpg

this look like a lot of work!

10tamusmall.jpg

more mantis

10tamumantid1.jpg

10tamumantid4.jpg

10tamumantid3.jpg

Nice photos of obviously interesting event. :) Looks like plenty of "a lot of work!" :lol:
Yeah got to love the job to do that kind of work. :D
Wow. Those are sooo awesome! Great pics yen. You're lucky.
Thanks. Yeah good thing TAMU is only 90 miles from Houston.Mantoida maya – adult male. Specimens from Key Largo, FL.

10tamummaya1.jpg

10tamummaya2.jpg

10tamummaya3.jpg

While taking down notes I saw a very small mantis, the smallest I have ever seen. Not even a cm. Appear to be from Australia.

10tamusmallmantid.jpg

10tamusmallmantid1.jpg

More hopper

10tamuhopper1.jpg

Tiger beetles

10tamutigerbeetle2.jpg

More mantis

10tamumantid2.jpg

I missed this mantis – Zoolea sp

10tamuzoolea.jpg

Some Pseudovates spp

10tamupseudovates.jpg

why does only 1 have wing color? When I preserved my dead Creobroter males, they both still have full color, they haven't faded. I have a special method of preserving them, I should probably mention it here.
I think that you are wise not to tell us before you have patented the process.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet in regards to preserving insects is that in addition to the feasibility of letting them die naturally is only part of it. In addition to actual physical study of a dead specimen, an important part of entomology involves the location and dates of collection. It's easy to understand why this info is important to researchers; it helps determine distinctions within a species by geographic location, and changes within a species in an specific geographic location over time. Perhaps the S. carolina in North Carolina tend to be slightly bigger/slightly greener/etc. than the ones that live in Colorado? Or if the ones in Colorado are bigger this year (a very wet year by Colorado standards) compared to 2004? I don't know if any of that's true, but what if it is? How would you be able to uncover information in that vein if all specimens, while originally wild-caught, were actually captive specimens, simply due to the fact that you kept them in a cup for six months with an artificial life cycle? Killing immediately upon collection, as well as accurate annotation, is essential for entomological research.

QUOTE (yen_saw @ Jan 14 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some Pseudovates spp
10tamupseudovates.jpg

why does only 1 have wing color? When I preserved my dead Creobroter males, they both still have full color, they haven't faded. I have a special method of preserving them, I should probably mention it here.
I think the ones with clear wing are vates they look similar to two males that i caught in Jamaica