TAMU insect collection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find the previous link for this topic about the insect collection so gonna add a new topic here. This is the Texas A&M annual insect collection event held last Saturday, wanna share some of dried specimens here. This year i finally remember to bring my camera!! Lot of pics hopefully you won't fall to sleep half way going through this :p Due to the size limit here pic size been reduced. Anyone like to see an enlarge version of any particular pic please PM me no problem.

Here we go....

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m6.jpg

m7.jpg

m8.jpg

Now i am not sure about this one...the bottom right one resemble Zoolea sp. instead

m9.jpg

m10.jpg

More pics on next page

Another closer look at the questionable "mantis"... it is from Texas?! boy if that is true i have to relly think of how many species of mantis exist in Texas.

m42.jpg

m43.jpg

m44.jpg

m45.jpg

m46.jpg

m47.jpg

That is the largest bark mantis i have ever seen...a good 3.25 inches!

m48.jpg

m49.jpg

m50.jpg

m51.jpg

m52.jpg

m53.jpg

m54.jpg

m55.jpg

m57.jpg

My son is showing off a live Texas unicorn mantis to a visitor... good to see a live one after looking at all the dead specimen :p

m58.jpg

My son checking out some beetles with a bug friend of mine David.

m59.jpg

Endless row of cabinets storing all kinds of bug.... TAMU has about 2.3 millions specimen of all kind of insects that is properly labeled with bar code, GPS location, method of catching, etc pretty neat stuff, and probably millions more that is lying around waiting to be identified, and that's about time when my camera's battery ran out...bummer!!

m60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunning Yen, although just the tip of the ice burg :lol: I must admit i like the one you say is just over 6inches, looks like Archimantis species ?. Some crazy insects there even the little phasmid :D

That (questionable one) looks like a Tenodera sp .

Stunning Yen, although just the tip of the ice burg :lol: I must admit i like the one you say is just over 6inches, looks like Archimantis species ?. Some crazy insects there even the little phasmid :D That (questionable one) looks like a Tenodera sp .
Thanks Gary, yeah there are many more boxes of mantis i didn't remove from cabinet for more pics. But mantid is the smallest section there as far as i know. Quantity of beetles collection basically dwarfed every other insects in TAMU's entomology dept. Here is the link where i put the pics of other insects http://www.usamantis.com/TAMU08OTH.html

Didn't really read everything on the (fine print) label but remember the long stick insect is from Cameroon.

This questionable "mantis" (pic below) may not be a mantis at all but it is in the mantodea section for sure. Pretty sure it is not of Tenodera sp.

m42.jpg

:lol: I didnt even look at the phasmid in the photo, i just assumed we were talking about the Tenodera(cant see Tenodera on label?) look a like above it :lol:

Cheers Christian, would that be an African species ?

Thier one of my all time fav must haves, amazing array of insects there!

:lol: I didnt even look at the phasmid in the photo, i just assumed we were talking about the Tenodera(cant see Tenodera on label?) look a like above it :lol: Cheers Christian, would that be an African species ?
Ah ok i get confused too with all the pics Gary :D The long stick like mantis is from Africa, Cameroon stated on the bottom layer label (the one with bar code) not visible from the photo.

I am quite surprized to see how big those Chearododis/Asiadodis types are too, the pronotal shield is massive on the second one!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/yen...TAMU2008/m6.jpg

Thanks for sharing Yen :D
Yes they are all of Choeradodis as Christian mentioned. Not problem took me a while to upload all the pics but glad you like it.

Very nice. Some of those have seen better days though.

Wow. So many mantids! Too bad I couldn't attend. :(

Seeing so many dead mantids makes me squirm in my seat.

Rick, thanks for moving it to the correct section.

Wow. So many mantids! Too bad I couldn't attend. :( Seeing so many dead mantids makes me squirm in my seat.
They do this every year during winter break (or a week before the spring semester begins), last Saturday open house was their 20th consecutive year and i am sure they will do it next year.

On another topic, i met a biologist from McKinney who runs a natural science & wildlife sanctuary museum there, he is also looking to set up an insectarium and you might be able to help. McKinney is not too far away from where you are. his website is www.heardmuseum.org, if you need his contact please PM me.

WOW.so many
Yeah too many MJ, my eyes get all sore and crossed looking at all those tiny little mantids :D

Latest posts