Taumantis sigiana, are these parthenogenic?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleurdejoo

Reaction score
So Mime found an article online somewhere by some dude, who says his female was not bred and she laid an ooth which hatched.

I am hoping Mime will put a link to that article here.

So do any of you guys know about them?

Aaaand do any of you guys know who this dude is who wrote it ?

Here is a picture of little sista's ooth, she was not bred, although we tried!!

photo_zps98aa6446.jpg

Very cool Jude. You'll have to incubate your ooth to see what happens.

Mime, I checked out Piotr's blog. I love his photo of mother and daughter Taumantis, and he has some nice images showing the different instars. His technique for photographing mantids using white plastic is also interesting, though the white background on some of the photos is very bright on my display. Thanks for sharing that link!

Thank you Michael!

She is whipped fer sure but feasting all night.

I came home and she had crawled down onto the floor to a fly box and was sitting on top of them staring longingly!!!

Probably had a little mantis drool!

Very cool Jude. You'll have to incubate your ooth to see what happens.

Mime, I checked out Piotr's blog. I love his photo of mother and daughter Taumantis, and he has some nice images showing the different instars. His technique for photographing mantids using white plastic is also interesting, though the white background on some of the photos is very bright on my display. Thanks for sharing that link!
I've been checking out his other stuff since I made that post. His pictures are amazing! I wonder how he gets the money to go to all these places and take the photographs.

I've been checking out his other stuff since I made that post. His pictures are amazing! I wonder how he gets the money to go to all these places and take the photographs.
Mike, I checked more of his blog and photos. Amazing. I signed up to follow his blog and get his new entries emailed to me. This guy is not only a talented photographer, but he's also a great writer...especially for someone who must speak and write English as a second language. I checked out his about page, and he has been published in a couple of magazines that still pay well for photos (not many of them do nowadays), and he's also represented by Minden Pictures stock agency. I have a subscription to Ranger Rick magazine. I'll be watching for his photos from now on. Hey, did you see his photo of an engorged dog tick (aka wood tick)?Jude, you often make me smile when I read your posts. I'm glad you are here.

Yes. I saw them. If I had photography skills, that would be a dream job. To travel around the world and take photos of wildlife and get paid handsomely.

Looking again, his Taumantis isn't the same species as Jude's and mine. Taumantis cephalotes I think.

Taumantis are very closely related to Miomantis and there is literrature that Miomantis can reproduce by parthenogenisis.

It is probably more common than we think. Obviously in this case there was a loss of fitness since all but one nymph died. I wouldn't be surprised if the ooth from the survivor does not hatch.

That guy is from the US right? He said he buys crickets at Petco.

That guy is from the US right? He said he buys crickets at Petco.
He lives in the US now. His bio on his about page says that he got a degree in Poland and then his PhD in entomology from the University of Connecticut. I copied the first part of his bio below from his page.****************************************************************************

Piotr (Peter) Naskrecki is an entomologist, photographer and author, based at the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, USA.). He received his M. Sc. degree in Zoology from the A. Mickiewicz University in Poznan, Poland;, and a Ph.D. in Entomology from the University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT. Between 2002 and 2009 Piotr served as Director of the Invertebrate Diversity Initiative at the Center for Applied Biodiversity Science at Conservation International, Washington, D.C. His research focuses on the evolution of katydids and related insects, and the theory and practice of nature conservation.

As a photographer, Piotr strives to promote appreciation and conservation of invertebrate animals – insects, arachnids, and their kin – by capturing both their beauty and roles as vital, often critically important members of the Earth’s ecosystems. He is one of the founding members of the International League of Conservation Photographers (ILCP).

Ok here is the ooth she laid. She's so thoughtful! Always thinking of me.

photo_zps7db58202.jpg

And here it is mounted. I'm really interested to see if anything happens.

photo_zps729826d6.jpg

Sweet, but girlfriend you have way to much aspen in there, cut it in half or more, they'll get trapped in the dence a mix, be more sparse in how close it's bunched, and leave a few inches up top for the hatchlings to drop down around the ooth.

Latest posts