Teeth cleaning turned into oral surgery

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
Just posting this for a little sympathy. I went to the dentist today for a cleaning and ended up getting periodontal surgery. My mouth is in major pain but I think my codeine's kicking in. Thank you, Jesus! I won't get into how they "abused" me, but I for sure wasn't expecting to spend 4 1/2 hours in the chair. :eek:

for my oral surgery...he prescribed vicadin.... :turned:

wish you all the best in your recovery! -Andrew ..........make sure you do more of this :tooth: :tooth: :tooth:

eeek you get gum grafts?

they hurt
You got it! That was AFTER they got done with the other stuff. I had a bony protrusion from a recent tooth removal removed and also retreatment for a missing filling and to get to it, had to cut through the gums and "extend" the root by grinding down bone. This :poop: hurts more than an extraction or root canal! Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I'm feeling better already...until it the codeine wears off and starts to hurt again. :lol:

You got it! That was AFTER they got done with the other stuff. I had a bony protrusion from a recent tooth removal removed and also retreatment for a missing filling and to get to it, had to cut through the gums and "extend" the root by grinding down bone. This :poop: hurts more than an extraction or root canal! Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I'm feeling better already...until it the codeine wears off and starts to hurt again. :lol:
:yawn: I'm going next month. Why did you have gum grafts? I've been pretty lucky when it comes to teeth. I've never had a cavity or anything. Worried that may be changing. But I was always told my gums were receding. Was always mentioned briefly, but was never told what to do except not brush hard, which I don't do. As an adult I went to the dentist yearly, but lately it's been at least four years. I noticed the other day that my gums had receded so far that I could see the roots of a molar :ninja: So yeah I made an appointment. I hate the dentist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have as bad a problem as you guys (or much of a problem at all) but at my last appointment the dentist started scraping like #### on my teeth, which was the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard+pain to me. I don't see how that helps my enamel at all.

I don't have as bad a problem as you guys (or much of a problem at all) but at my last appointment the dentist started scraping like #### on my teeth, which was the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard+pain to me. I don't see how that helps my enamel at all.
i hate that too

hearing about oral surgery just makes me wanna throw up!! it's so gross :(

I always wondered that myself. I've had no dental issues. Not even sure if what I am describing now is a big issue yet as I am no dentist. Guess we will see.

I have not had a cavity in years. It seems previous dental work failing is my problem. I think half of what the dentist does is for job security and to keep you coming back. I don't see how boring a large hole in a tooth and filling it is any better than leaving a tiny cavity alone. Oh well, that's why they're the Dr, right? I also can't stand the scraping.

One time, while she was scraping, she caught the edge of my gun! That is the worst experience yet (besides all the bizarre things they put on your teeth during a check up).

On a separate note, I also hate it when a hairdresser makes my head move to the right position by yanking on my hair. :eek:fftopic:

However, patrickfraser, I hope that your recovery is fast without much pain.

Scott: Nobody likes to go to the dentist. I hope this experience doesn't make you so shy of the dental chair that you avoid going when you might really need to go again. Happy healing! :helpsmilie: