Tell everyone a little about yourself/post a pic if you want

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan, where are you studying zoology? I'm going to start a zoology BSC in october at bristol university...can't wait!

Hi Im Michele :)

I live in Southeast Virginia on a "farm". I have a husband, 2 boys, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a bunny, an iguana (with free run of the house) 2 cornsnakes, several eggs due to hatch next month, 3 rats (not food, they are pets) a 55 gallon of tropical fish and a 30 gallon of snails and fancy guppies. I think thats it besides the 1 Chinese mantis I found outside on Fathers Day. He molted the day after we found him and again this morning so I took some pics to post.

As a kid I lived on a fairly wooded lot in Maine and searched every day for bugs and snakes. I remember having a pet mantis as a kid and I would feed it crickets I caught outside. He never ate the bodies, just snapped the head off and held it like a bowl and drank out of it. I also kept monarch caterpillars and raised them into cocoons and let them go as butterflies.

My interest in snakes carried into my adulthood and we became breeders. Ive had as many as 45 at a time.

Anyone with a fishtank interested in trading ooths for snail eggs please let me know.

eyeball1.jpg

bluebrigeggs.jpg

june068.jpg

june073.jpg

hey,

Yeah no pics (kinda dodgey I think). But I am 16, and I collect mantis, trying to start breeding them eventually aswell. I spend the rest of my time skating, snowboarding (on a dry ski slope) and heading out to crazy house parties during the weekend. Yeah, and I live in the UK (scotland!!!!)

I also play guitar for my band (which is currently falling apart) and like to listen to loadsa punk rock music.

Hey Every one!!!

Cameron.

p.s. saw GREEN DAY 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ENVY YOU CAM!!!!! My mate came back, said she was loving it!!!!

Chun, I am hoping to study vetinary in bristol uni, a few yeears to go yet, but that is what I am aiming for. Am getting work experience in bristol zoo, so, its hardly gunna be work, more free admission :p

Cheers,

Ian

Looks like we're all aiming high :)

Next year i'm taking a Life Sciences degree, I have two major interest areas, Biology and Astro-biology, best of luck to everyone taking themselves places :!:

Well, my name is David I live in San Diego CA where I was born and raised. I been keeping mantids for about 2 years now on and off. I'm 20 years old and work at Sea World San Diego where I operate a ride, I will be going to school this August to take some EMT classes in hopes to become a firefighter. Heres a pic of me hope it shows up

Since this post came back I will put a new pic of me up. This is me at Hunting Island, SC. The hat is the same one I wore in Afghanistan in 02.

huntingisland001.jpg

I would post a pick of myself, but I don't know how to put pics on the forum. I am registered on photo bucket and every time I want tol log in it says I was never accounted :?

dino, create a new account, sign up with a new username4 and passwords, and then directly uplaod the images from your PC onto your account. Great pic rick :lol:

Cheers,

Ian

p.s- michelle, what species did that egg sack come from in your pic??

I would post a pick of myself, but I don't know how to put pics on the forum. I am registered on photo bucket and every time I want tol log in it says I was never accounted :?
It's ok.

p.s- michelle, what species did that egg sack come from in your pic??
Hey Ian,

That was laid by a Blue Brig of mine. They start off brown and turn blue within a week or 2. They really are white shells with a dark brown or almost black body, and the color looks like a greyish blue thru the shell.

I have started checking my tank every morning for eggs (they come out of the water and deposit them) and I remove and flush them :( I have WAY too many babies and cant take on any more. Water changes, keeping the quality up, 2 daily feedings, power outages, filter slime...

making me really enjoy the ease of the mantids.

The only real drawback Im finding so far are all the little feeder bugs I have in my house now!

I ENVY YOU CAM!!!!! My mate came back, said she was loving it!!!! Chun, I am hoping to study vetinary in bristol uni, a few yeears to go yet, but that is what I am aiming for. Am getting work experience in bristol zoo, so, its hardly gunna be work, more free admission :p

Cheers,

Ian
you've gotta work pretttyyyyyyy hard for that, it's veryvery very very competitive (if you don't know that already). My parents, college, friends and family are trying to get me to do vetenary science, but i really couldn't see myself stuck in a surgery for the rest of my life...prefer to do something more exciting, preferably research/conservation in another country...UK is not the nicest place to live in, with young kids lacking discipline, respect and morals...it's quite a scary place to live in ( especially what happened in london yesterday!!!!, thank god none of my loved ones were affected by it, but my condolensce and best wishes to those who have lost love ones)

Oh yeah, i won't be accepted to vetenary college mainly because i didn't have enough work experience....my mom is trying to convince me to get a 1st degree honor in zoology and do a foundation veterinary science course...another 5 years of education after 3 years of degreee....hmmmmmmmmm

Latest posts