Temporary emergency food?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuzu

Reaction score
So I'm not going to have any fruit flies for a few days while the ones I have pupate, and the others I've ordered come in. What can I feed my nymphs until then? I've heard of people feeding banana, will that suffice? 

I want to stay away from pinhead crickets, due to all the problems I've heard crickets can cause. 

Thanks! 

I've scoured trees and bushes for aphids and any other tiny cluster bugs to get through a dry spell before. Or you could always try to put out a good old normal wild fruit fly trap to see what you come up with.

Tiny mealworms may work as well as a stopgap.

Wisk a fine bug net back and forth through the grass, just skimming the top. Have a clear catsup bottle open and ready. After a few back and forths grab the end of the net and stuff the very end of the net in the top of the bottle... The dinner nats and small flies etc will escape through the fine net mesh, but be trapped in the bottle!

Put the top back on quickly and waalaaah you can squeeze the small feeders right into your enclosures!

Works in a pinch. Of course you can always go to your local PetSmart or Petco and by the small culture of fruit flies... Good luck... Let us know how you do

@Zuzu I actually found a reptile store near me with awesome feeders, they had cheaper fruit fly cultures than petco, so you can try looking for one too. Otherwise just do as @Kermit suggested, I've caught wild bugs too in a pinch.

Thank you guys!

Luckily the petco right by me had decent sized fruit fly cultures. Wish I knew before I ordered more a few days ago haha.

Latest posts