Tenodera cannibals

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreetopMantid

Reaction score
Today when I got home from school I was excited to see if any of my female tenodera's made another ooth. But instead I saw this image1 (1).JPG

Cannibalism is inevitable when you keep certain species in enclosed spaces.

You'll notice that they'll eat each other's heads off even if they're well-fed. It may be their way of decreasing the competition for prey items in their own territory.

You cannot keep those together. I've come across female on female cannibalism in the wild a couple times. Once I found one that was caught and eaten by another female while she was laying an ooth.

chinese mantises are not communal like most other species of mantises you have to have close supervision if you have 2 out but even with that that is a huge risk i wouldn't take.

Almost no mantises are not cannibalistic. Most mantis are not cannibals at early stages, but I wouldn't even take that chance. Mantises that are commutable include Ghost mantis, Giant African stick mantis, and a few more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your mantis

+1

Although many mantids are rather tolerant of each other, there are no truly communal mantids; they are solitary animals. Every species has a risk of cannibalism. Tenoderas are a particularly aggressive and uncommunal species, who will attack anything in sight.