Tenodera sinensis ootheca found in Cape Cod

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ootheca hatched! Got 100 babies! So it was fertile and also hadn't hatched. Sweet! Love having new nymphs to care for.

Whoo Hoo! :rockon: Congrats! That is so cool! I knew it didn't look like it had hatched yet! ;) Will be looking forward to seeing and reading your progress reports! ^_^

You know, I meant to ask you, what part of Cape Cod did you go to? I'm just curious cuz I was partially raised there.

Congrats! Enjoy your little hoard! :D Super exciting...
Thanks! And I woke up this morning to find that about 60-70 more hatched! So the first batch came out Sunday morning and the second batch came out Tuesday morning. I think that'll be it since that's about 200 nymphs. But I guess we'll see. Very exciting, I love finding nymphs in a previously empty container when I wake up.

Whoo Hoo! :rockon: Congrats! That is so cool! I knew it didn't look like it had hatched yet! ;) Will be looking forward to seeing and reading your progress reports! ^_^

You know, I meant to ask you, what part of Cape Cod did you go to? I'm just curious cuz I was partially raised there.
Thanks! And I'm glad it turned out being fertile and unhatched as you predicted. :) We went to Truro stayed at a motel called the Blue Sea Inn. Lucky to be raised in Cape Cod! Love it there.

Thanks! And I'm glad it turned out being fertile and unhatched as you predicted. :) We went to Truro stayed at a motel called the Blue Sea Inn. Lucky to be raised in Cape Cod! Love it there.
I love it there too, and miss it immensely! :( I lived off of a branch of a town called Edgartown which is on the island of Martha's Vineyard, on an island called Chappaquiddick. I loved Chappaquiddick :wub: and wish I could afford to go back. Maybe someday. . . ^_^

I love it there too, and miss it immensely! :( I lived off of a branch of a town called Edgartown which is on the island of Martha's Vineyard, on an island called Chappaquiddick. I loved Chappaquiddick :wub: and wish I could afford to go back. Maybe someday. . . ^_^
Sounds like it was nice. :) Too bad you're too far away to visit regularly. How's it over in Arizona? You find any cool bugs over there? :p I think you could probably go back SOME day too.

Sounds like it was nice. :) Too bad you're too far away to visit regularly. How's it over in Arizona? You find any cool bugs over there? :p I think you could probably go back SOME day too.
It's been pretty warm here, but with a really nice breeze going all the time. I sometimes wonder how Chicago got the name "Windy City" cuz whoever gave it that nickname had obviously never been here! :clown: While the temps have been getting close to the 90's, it hasn't felt a bit over 75-80. The only type of mantis I have ever seen here so far is the Iris Oratoria. They are quite abundant, at least they were in my yard last year! :D I do have an L4 named Skittles that literally found me about a week and a half ago that we haven't identified yet. When I say that he found me, I went to my terrarium that housed all of my Oratoria nymphs and there he was sitting on top of it. No idea where he came from! The last time I went to take him out for a picture shoot so that we could try and get an ID on him, he tried to make a great escape by using his wings and literally taking off. I had named him Skittles cuz he was kind of skittish anyways. He was gone for 2 days then miraculously showed up back inside of his terrarium that I had left open when he took off! I was born and raised back east and remember playing with, or I should say holding praying mantises when I was a kid and being totally fascinated by them. However, I never thought I'd be where I am today! ^_^

I don't know if you've read any of our introductory posts to find out how we came to be here, but I got here totally on accident. I had no intention of raising mantids, but my Higher Power had other ideas! :clown: I had a lizard named Tartan that died last month of old age. As a treat I would occasionally feed him praying mantises. One of them he allowed to co-habitate with him for about 3 days before he consumed her. Well, during that time, she laid an ooth. It was less than a week, in fact, more like just a couple of days after Tartan died, I had a terrarium full of baby mantids. I didn't even know that one of the mantids I had fed him had laid an ooth. heck, I didn't even know what an ooth was! So, here I am, some 70 Iris Oratoria nymphs later. . . :innocent: I have learned so much here and really enjoy coming here. I try to log in every day, but don't always make it. I find myself reading a lot of the old posts on all of the various topics because there is just so much information in them. Even the story ones in the General Discussion area because people ask questions, so they are just as informative as the topic forums. I cannot begin to tell you the hours I've spent in here just reading and learning. :smarty: LOL :lol: Great place here and some really great people, it's nice getting to know some of them (you included! :flowers: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been pretty warm here, but with a really nice breeze going all the time. I sometimes wonder how Chicago got the name "Windy City" cuz whoever gave it that nickname had obviously never been here! :clown: While the temps have been getting close to the 90's, it hasn't felt a bit over 75-80. The only type of mantis I have ever seen here so far is the Iris Oratoria. They are quite abundant, at least they were in my yard last year! :D I do have an L4 named Skittles that literally found me about a week and a half ago that we haven't identified yet. When I say that he found me, I went to my terrarium that housed all of my Oratoria nymphs and there he was sitting on top of it. No idea where he came from! The last time I went to take him out for a picture shoot so that we could try and get an ID on him, he tried to make a great escape by using his wings and literally taking off. I had named him Skittles cuz he was kind of skittish anyways. He was gone for 2 days then miraculously showed up back inside of his terrarium that I had left open when he took off! I was born and raised back east and remember playing with, or I should say holding praying mantises when I was a kid and being totally fascinated by them. However, I never thought I'd be where I am today! ^_^

I don't know if you've read any of our introductory posts to find out how we came to be here, but I got here totally on accident. I had no intention of raising mantids, but my Higher Power had other ideas! :clown: I had a lizard named Tartan that died last month of old age. As a treat I would occasionally feed him praying mantises. One of them he allowed to co-habitate with him for about 3 days before he consumed her. Well, during that time, she laid an ooth. It was less than a week, in fact, more like just a couple of days after Tartan died, I had a terrarium full of baby mantids. I didn't even know that one of the mantids I had fed him had laid an ooth. heck, I didn't even know what an ooth was! So, here I am, some 70 Iris Oratoria nymphs later. . . :innocent: I have learned so much here and really enjoy coming here. I try to log in every day, but don't always make it. I find myself reading a lot of the old posts on all of the various topics because there is just so much information in them. Even the story ones in the General Discussion area because people ask questions, so they are just as informative as the topic forums. I cannot begin to tell you the hours I've spent in here just reading and learning. :smarty: LOL :lol: Great place here and some really great people, it's nice getting to know some of them (you included! :flowers: ).
Warm plus a nice breeze is ideal. :) I've never had an Iris oratoria, they look cool, seem to resemble the Stagmomantis californica. That's cool that you had them in your yard!

I've never seen a mantid in the wild before, just found the ootheca. That's weird that the different species was on top of the cage holding the other mantids. I've noticed a similar thing that happened with my mantids, though they were the same species. I lost a nymph and later found it in my other mantid's cage, I was like, no way, lol. Then one nymph I recently lost I found in my bearded dragon's cage. That's crazy that he ended up going back into the terrarium! Was it set up all-natural? I've never seen a wild mantid in my life, the first ones I got online because I found them to be amazing creatures and wanted to see and hold one. Then became obsessed lol. It's been a year since my interest in mantids started.

I was introduced to this place by a friend, another mantid owner. She let me know that you can buy and sell mantids here and I was like, sweet. Registered and here I am now.

Lol. Everyone says I'm new here and I'm like, wow, being here a year makes me a new comer, I guess some people have been here a reeeeally long time lol.

I'm sorry your lizard Tartan died last month. :( That's sad. How old was he? What kind of lizard was he? I have a Fancy Bearded Dragon (male) who's 7 years old currently. That's interesting that you fed him mantids, I'd never considered it, I just get his food at Petsmart which is crickets, mealworms, and superworms. He eats lettuce and carrots too but we usually have that in the fridge. That's crazy that it laid an ootheca and you had no idea, awesome, lol. I log in some times more than others, sometimes I'll come on day after day after day, other times I'll take a week or two off.

I like reading the posts here, too, and learning from those who've experienced certain species and knows what works for them. But most of my learning comes from my own experience since I feel that's the most legitimate.

Nice to meet you, too, thanks!

Latest posts