Tenodera Sinensis "playing dead"?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkinik

Reaction score
My young mantis played dead when holding it and it jumped and fell just a few inches on to a towel and went in to a paralyzed state for over 1/2 an hour. I have had two mantids do this and I can't figure out why. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is one of their defense mechanisms. If they did that on the ground with sticks, grass, and dead leaves I'm almost certain you wouldn't find it. Lol. 

When Chinese mantids are about L5 and younger they tend to be very skittish and startle quite easily. The next level of that defense mechanism is to frantically move to another place and stay still if being pursued. It's quite a fascinating behavior and sucks that the mantis has to be stressed to see it.

when mine would do that, I would just blow lightly on them and try to pick them up. Mantids feel more comfortable when things around them are moving before they move, (that's why they move in the wind) takes the attention off of them when something else is moving. Hope this helped! Good luck!

I just call it the Superman pose. :) The adults in the wild will do it as a defense mechanism so they will be better camouflaged with the surrounding plant life, once they jump from their perch to hide in the thick underbrush/grass areas (from specimens I've caught it tends to be more males than females too). Perhaps your nymphs are doing it for the same reason.

Thank you both very much! The mystery is solved! Lol when I posted these pictures I noticed that this mantis maybe a male. Amazing that they "play possum" when frightened or unsure of their surrounds.  They seem to be a it shaky on their legs for a while afterwards. I'm slowly trying to establish a trust and comfort zone with them. Thank you again! I'm learning their body language and this knowledge has help me a great deal. :)

LOL the Superman pose haha that's GREAT!  :D
It does fit though. :D They will also do a wind dance (or if your a Trekkie you could call it a fan dance), where they will sway from side to side, and some will do it very quickly and for minutes at a time if they are really excited or happy. :)

Funny that minomantis responded the exact same time I did, beating me by a few seconds.

Superman, playing dead! Don't insult his acting skills, he is very clearly trying to be the best twig he can be. If he was playing dead he would be on his back and if he was going for Superman he would have tied a cape on first. :p

Superman, playing dead! Don't insult his acting skills, he is very clearly trying to be the best twig he can be. If he was playing dead he would be on his back and if he was going for Superman he would have tied a cape on first. :p
Oh that's simple the little nymph forgot to stop off at the phone booth first. Here is another shot afterwards.... :D

supermantis.jpg

That is an awesome cartoon, I love it Cosbyart!! :D

I have had several Chinese mantis nymphs that have done this behavior for me.  Sometimes when they are really small, say L2 or L3 or so, when I open a container to feed the little guy will drop to the ground with legs all stretched out front and against his body like a stick. It if very interesting when they do it. Definitely a defensive behavior. But they look like perfect little sticks. :)   the first time I saw one do it I was concerned the little guy was dead. But then I found out he was only playing dead. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao! I also dubbed this the superman pose, I'm glad I'm not the only one. That picture is just the best hehe

My first Chinese Mantis did this when I offered him a grub one day. He was very not sure about this strange bug and as soon as it dared to touch him he was all "heck NO I'M A STICK! I'M A STICK!"

This is great! Thanks for the info on dancing.   And Bigger thanks for the belly laugh! :excl:
No problem, Lol I had to make it. ;)

That is an awesome cartoon, I love it Cosbyart!! :D

I have had several Chinese mantis nymphs that have done this behavior for me.  Sometimes when they are really small, say L2 or L3 or so, when I open a container to feed the little guy will drop to the ground with legs all stretched out front and against his body like a stick. It if very interesting when they do it. Definitely a defensive behavior. But they look like perfect little sticks. :)   the first time I saw one do it I was concerned the little guy was dead. But then I found out he was only playing dead. :)  
Thanks. :D Indeed it does seem to be primarily a young nymph defense, and by L5 all but stopped by many. The stick defense is even more uncommon but a funny sight to see too. :)

Lmao! I also dubbed this the superman pose, I'm glad I'm not the only one. That picture is just the best hehe

My first Chinese Mantis did this when I offered him a grub one day. He was very not sure about this strange bug and as soon as it dared to touch him he was all "heck NO I'M A STICK! I'M A STICK!"
Lol thanks. I thought the name was the most obvious to self explanation. ;) Besides the camouflage effect, it may also provide them with a quicker means to smack at danger depending on their muscle arrangement.

Latest posts