Texas Unicorn - Phyllovates chlorophaea

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

more_rayne

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my sub adult male Texas Unicorn, I love these guys!

4892836244_84e0aa3ae5_b.jpg

4892238511_3572bec747_b.jpg

4892238827_d97490036c_b.jpg

4892835946_be20213d54_b.jpg

WOW! Completely awesome!!! Incredible mantis and amazing photos!

Now I'm sad I didn't buy any off of Yen... :(

i have to agree with Precarious i should of too instead of ghost mantis but o well maby next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks like a chicken, or a giraffe, or some crazy monstrosity of a hybrid of the two animals :lol:

Was just checking them out on flickr :)

Shooting with a white backdrop is fun isn't it? I haven't done it in ages... I think this has convinced me to give it another try B)

As for the photo's critique wise, I'd say more DOF (i know i know, always a never ending struggle) is necessary when shooting head shots. Getting just the eye's or only one eye just doesn't do it for me anymore.

In these photos, shallow depth of field is used for artistic effect (these are not documentary photos). Also, it lets me control where the viewer's eyes look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, cause I have the same problem with DOF, How do you get the most of the DOF, I try using high ISO in order to use the most diaphragm closed...

saludos

Arturo

Was just checking them out on flickr :)

Shooting with a white backdrop is fun isn't it? I haven't done it in ages... I think this has convinced me to give it another try B)

As for the photo's critique wise, I'd say more DOF (i know i know, always a never ending struggle) is necessary when shooting head shots. Getting just the eye's or only one eye just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Yes, using a small aperture should be the first thing you do. I usually don't use anything higher than f/11 because of diffraction. If you need extreme DOF, you will need to take several pictures at different focus points and use "stacking" software to combine them. You can try Zerene Stacker for 30 days, works pretty good.