The Amazing Survivor!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i once lost a mantis. I found him exactly a week and a half later. He molted and had wings! I also found a CA mantid ooth. i saw her laying it. Its kinda tiny but i am still very excited!

psychobunny's story reminds me of an experience i had as a kid. I brought this tiny Tropidomantis nymph along to a family dinner in a plastic vial. The waiter cleared it away when i wasn't looking (probably thought it was trash). I can still remember that sinking feeling when I realised it was gone - Honest, it felt like the floor had dropped away beneath my feet or something! I actually felt vertigo.

Lol, I had to paw through the trash bin for a couple of minutes before I found him. The vial had cracked but he was unharmed.

Thats very lucky. Occasionally i will find a mantis while walking, and sometimes i am not the one who find them. One time a bunch of kids grabed a poor female but her wings. I told them that they were torturing it and they left. The mantis looked ok but was scared and climbing all over me. Its kinda sad but this was about a year ago. Once I got a chinese matnis ooth from a local garden store and it didnt hatch. I kept waiting and waiting. I eventually got tired and put it in a ziploc bag in my garage. A couple weeks later the ooth hatched. While i was getting things out of the dryer I noticed a mantis climbing on my arm. i spazzed out :blush: and jumped on the dryer. I looked down there where baby mantids crawling up my leg, on the ground and up the wall. I sometimes see adults clinging to the ceilings and i havent had a spider proble scince :)