The bounty of naturalized mantises.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambystoma

Reaction score
I went out for the first 70 degree day hunting for oothecae. I'd say it was a pretty solid day, ended up finding 29 religiosa (I think) oothecae. I'll take some pictures later, but just wanted to share the good fortune I've had. Have some friends that wanted to hatch some out, so I'll be giving away quite a few. Also, what are your thoughts on the naturalized mantises in NY?

Are there native species around new york. And what other introduced species are there?

I would worry that removing 29 ooths would have quite a hit on the local population, but I am from England where we have no mantises so don't really know much about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were introduced a long time ago. New York doesn't have any native species, but they are considered naturalized. From what I understand there haven't been many, if any, studies on their impact here. I would assume that they have altered the ecosystems they inhabit just for the fact that they are such voracious predators. I am strongly against collection of native species in such numbers. I'm sure there are differing opinions on here and I don't want to stir the pot, but I am open to conversation on the matter.

There are many studies on the effects of these mantids on insect herbivores. I know of no studies on these non-natives and how they impact native populations.

NY has no natives? I say gather up as many of these invasives as you can. I wish people would stop spreading them.

They were introduced a long time ago. New York doesn't have any native species, but they are considered naturalized. From what I understand there haven't been many, if any, studies on their impact here. I would assume that they have altered the ecosystems they inhabit just for the fact that they are such voracious predators. I am strongly against collection of native species in such numbers. I'm sure there are differing opinions on here and I don't want to stir the pot, but I am open to conversation on the matter.
Where in NY are you from? Im from Westchester. there are carolinas in NY and they are native

I'd be interested to see any articles on the impact they have in non-native habitat, please PM me with any additional information. As far as I know there are no native species this far north, I live in upstate/central NY, and would love to see confirmation of any native mantis species here. The unfortunate reality is that they, as in Chinese and European mantises, have been here so long that people just assume they are a part of the natural order here. This being said from a student of conservation biology, by no means am I saying I am a professional, who cares much more about the native fauna and flora than "naturalized" species. I will maintain captive populations of exotic species, but can't condone the release of said species.

I'd be interested to see any articles on the impact they have in non-native habitat, please PM me with any additional information. As far as I know there are no native species this far north, I live in upstate/central NY, and would love to see confirmation of any native mantis species here. The unfortunate reality is that they, as in Chinese and European mantises, have been here so long that people just assume they are a part of the natural order here. This being said from a student of conservation biology, by no means am I saying I am a professional, who cares much more about the native fauna and flora than "naturalized" species. I will maintain captive populations of exotic species, but can't condone the release of said species.
Have you talked to MantidLord since he has a similar project? Based on his profile, is attending Cornell University in New York.

I don't have many religiosa where I am as they seem to gone, I know they aren't but can't see many of them. I think it would take an awful lot

to rid a state of mantis, everyone would have to gather them up like they were littering!

I have yet to find a European or Carolina mantis in the Virginia/ DC/ Maryland area. Either they are really rare or I need to hone my praying mantis-finding ability. I've only ever found T. sinensis. I am hatching a couple of Carolina ooths and I will be releasing most of the nymphs as a minuscule effort to re-introduce a native species.

When I lived in New Mexico, I only found native species.

I should also mention they were found in practically a straight line through a field. There were a ton of other areas that I'm sure had plenty of oothecae.

Latest posts