The Brunners Stick Mantis is the Hardest Mantis to Raise Prove me Wrong Lol

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
So the Brunners stick mantis... I have kept it 5  times now. Each not successful. First of all, they are extremely delicate. Secondly, they don’t eat unless you take tweezers and literally put the fly on its mouth so it tastes it and then it grabs onto it. Then, it dies suddenly for no reason at all sometimes. That is what happened with 3 of my attempts It has bad molts easily. I had one make it all the way to its second to last instar and then on its final molt it had a bad molt even though I had perfect humidity :( . I actually bought an egg case once just so I could have more than one chance to get it started as the hardest part is to get it past the early stages where it dies super duper easy! Anyone have this much trouble with a mantis as much as I have with this? Anyone kept Brunners before and had trouble with it? Despite this, I think it is the coolest mantis with its orange thick antennae, a long slender body, long thin forearms, long cool palpi on its abdomen, bumps on and along its thorax, and cool looking tiny wings when it is an adult. Its a love hate relationship lol. Its just so frustrating. It is my favorite mantis. I had one that was my favorite mantis of all time its name was Teresta.

I've had trouble with the species too, but mostly because they need feeding twice as often as my other nymphs and I would forget to feed them one day and find it dead the next day. They are very fragile little things for sure.

- MantisGirl13 

I have only had that problem with a cat eye mantis. Died for no reason. I know people have an insane amount of trouble with Idolomantis Diabolica.

Hmm...see my for sale add. I'm selling Brunner's ooths. I raised all of mine from an ooth that I collected, and they're now adults that are producing ooths. I had some issues here and there, but none of the ones you're reporting.

So far I've had my wild caught nymphs molt twice with no issues, wish me luck! 

20200608_175959.jpg

The only way i have been successful with these is by using net cubes with real grass inside. In the wild they sit on grass and never are really hanging completely upside-down so they have a lot of trouble molting off mesh. The best thing to feed them are moths and butterflies.

Latest posts