The Bug Chicks

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Clausen

Reaction score
They're bringing bugs mainstream. Kristie from the Bug Chicks came over yesterday (they live local to me and they're both so much fun to talk bugs with!). She told me about their new Microsoft video. Just thought I'd post it here. The commercial first aired during the Oscars, recently! Anybody that doesn't know about them would enjoy watching their videos (website linked here: http://thebugchicks.com/videos/ )

I have seen this, it was interesting to see the mantis, only thing the stations are cutting it and the mantis does not get shown on some of the commercials.

There's two mantises, one at 10 seconds a dead leaf mantis species (?) (crawling across her hands and can be seen on her right hand as she talks up to 12 seconds) and a Orchid mantis at 23 seconds on the computer monitor edge. Either way of course that is what is shortened from the commercial. :(

I'll have to pass along their website to my niece and nephews and see if it can help drum up their interests in insects. So far my nephews think my insects are creepy. ;)

Ha, I've seen that commercial, cool that they live so close to you! :) Glad they are bringing more awareness to bugs, it's always a pleasure to see insects being treated nicely on TV!

Cool you got to meet them! I just saw the commercial yesterday for the first time and now again this afternoon. The version aired here does have the praying mantis!

I love seeing that commercial! The version I saw had the female D. desiccata on her hand. That is neat you got to meet them, they seem like great 'ambassadors' for insects.

They are really great. It's a pretty small world. I'm doing a bug presentation for the neighbors at their daughter's second grade classroom later this week. They had met the Bug Chicks at a local event, I guess. Always sort of blows my mind when random people know other bug people. They really get out there and do a great job of promoting themselves, and bugs! The neighbor lady said that the Bug Chicks lay down some rules at the beginning and tell adults in the room that they are not allowed to speak or react negatively to bugs during the show. Of course, that is the adult that children emulate most. I confess that the most closed-minded person in the classroom is often the teacher, which is surprising because it is that same teacher that invites us in to do our shows. I never charge. It's just sort of a community support thing. They only payment I (kindly as possible) demand is that the teacher does not promote a sense of fear or disgust towards anything that I bring out. I don't really say it upfront, but it becomes a little bit more clear to the teacher each time I respond to it. ;)

I'm very happy that my mom will be in town that day to present with me. It has been many years since she's been around to do this. She's a huge fan of bugs, too!

Does anybody else here present at schools, etc. like the Bug Chicks? We've also done the Insect Study Merit Badge class for the Boy Scouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a presentation  to the Montessori school where my granddaughters went to school. I gave them a H majuscula to raise. They really enjoyed her and raised her to adult. I supplied the flies :)

Latest posts